Chapter One

Coras POV

I hear her screaming from the bathroom, and my heart drops. I fling myself out of bed, terrified she is hurt. “Georgia! What’s wrong?” the words spurt from my lips in a messy scramble.

“Oh my… “ her voice chokes. Without a second thought, I hurtle into the bathroom. I can’t  comprehend what my eyes insist is reality. I open my mouth, but no words come tumbling from my lips.

Georgia lies naked in her bath tub, her bare chest heaving in panic. I swallowed thickly. Her short blond hair halos her head like golden veins. Her panicked eyes stare soullessly forward, so I follow her gaze to the stunning tail in the place her legs should have been.

Her breathing picks up, and I fear she will start having a panic attack. Logically I know some kind of calming intervention is called for, but I completely freeze. Because tail and naked and blond and beautiful and scared and tail tail tail tail… instead of helping, I end up trying to imagine how I would feel if I went from human to Mer in a matter of seconds. I can’t. I only know the way I have always been, I doubt the sight of my tail will ever frighten me the way it has her

. Drifting in my strange state of panic, I absently note that her now curved and deadly sharp nails are carving crevices in the side of the bath. Her grandmother would have been livid back in the day, I think to myself. Clarity reclaims my mind with the abrupt intensity of a lightning strike. Without pausing to think, I scoop Georgia out the bath, and stumble towards her bedroom.

I can feel the water dripping onto my legs, and curse. I have  a matter of seconds . I make it to the bed just as my legs transform into their baser form. The two of us lie there, and I pant from the force of postponing the change.

Georgia’s eyes look unfocused, and a pitiful whimpering sound resonates from the back of her throat. “It’s okay, “ I murmur, resting my forehead on her shoulder. “It’s okay. “

“Did you do this to me? “ she croaks. I wince, even though it’s a fair accusation. Us Merfolk are notoriously tricky. Georgia is usually one of the most tolerant people I know . She’s stood up for me countless times at school, when the girls called me a sleazy cunt fish, and when the boys offer to teach me  why the human anatomy is superior to a mers. I know most mers don’t have someone like Georgia, though there are very few places left that are as  speciesist as Clifton. It still breaks my heart that Georgia thinks me capable of causing her any kind of pain.

By the time I raise my head to answer her, I can see that her pupils have fully contracted, and the silver irises have completely swallowed the whites of her eyes. “OH my gods, Georgia, “ I exhale.
Her new, feral mer mind is quickly taking over. She growls softly, and her fully extended canines flash in the twilight of the room. Her teeth snag on her uncalloused lip, drawing blood. Her tongue darts out and laps it up with intentionally tantalizing strokes.

I feel myself running short on air in a way that has nothing to do with the sealed gills that mark my side. In a fluid motion, Georgia grips my arms and flips me over so her naked weight presses down on mine.

My heart beats faster at the sudden powerless of my position. I become hyper aware of her tail, mindlessly rubbing against mine. My tail twitches desperately, and Georgia responds.

With nothing more than a flick of her hip, she has her powerful tail curled in restrictive circles around mine. Mine instinctively wrap around hers, so our whole my whole body is ensnared in her embrace. 

I groan helplessly, nearly ready to surrender myself to the situation on that feeling alone. My face is yanked up by her hand, the claws pinching my skin.
“Mine? “ she whimpers in a guttural voice.
“Yours, “ I consent, the word pouring out faster than I could contain it.

Without another moments preamble, Georgia bowed her head and buried her teeth deep inside my neck. My body arches against hers, at the flood of stimuli entering my nervous system. I can feel her labored breath hot against me skin, and the frantic beating of her heart. A moment later I let the wave of temptation overcome me, and clamp my own canines down on her exposed neck.

Her body twitches, then settles. We remain still for a few seconds longer, as the bond between us solidifies . I release her neck, and she follows suite, taking great care to lap up the swollen beads of blood she leaves behind. My head feel heavy, so I allow it to loll to the side. Georgia faffs for another minute, raking her clawed fingers through my hair, and nuzzling the crook of my neck with her cheek. She goes boneless the moment the adrenaline runs out, and her tail morphs back to legs.

I realize I already shifted back. Georgia rolls off of me, but draws me close into her arms. I shudder at the proximity of our bare skin, and the way her arms and legs wind themselves protectively around each other. She falls asleep within moments, leaving me to wonder what the fuck just happened. And if the backlash would be just enough to break us.

Hey ppl,that was just a quick intro chapter. 💁‍♀️I post weekly, and would love to hear what you have to say about my book... Stick around for chapter 2... I promise it gets better