Chapter 8

Georgia’s POV
We settle into a routine surprisingly quickly. We suffer through school, enduring speciesist and sexist remark from most of the pupils. It takes a lot out of me to not kill them for insulting my Cora. I don’t think I could withstand the temptation were it not for Coras easy indifference in regards to our classmates.
In the afternoons we lie on the rocks, doing homework and taking breaks to swim.
I haven’t kissed Cora in over a week. Deep down I know she is waiting for me to initiate it, but fear keeps me from acting. After everything that has happened, I think the rejection would kill me.
It was Wednesday when the strange feeling started. My muscles cramped, like I was being squeezed alive by a metal box. A bonedeep itch tore through my body, making my hands twitch with the urge to scratch. I thought I was going crazy at first. The feeling would come in waves, washing over me at random times and making me squirm. Today is Friday, and it only seems to be getting worse.
I try to act natural, but I think Cora has noticed my pained expressions. I’ll have to come clean soon. For all I know, she’ll know what’s wrong and be able to help.
Coras POV
“Tell me what’s bothering you,” I demand, making her jump. We have been lying on the rocks for hours, the bottom half of our tails submerged deep enough in the lapping water that we remain mer.
“I won’t lie to you,” she concedes, after a moment of deliberation. She nods her head encouragingly, and I sigh.
“My muscles have been aching,” I admit, “And my skin itches.”
She looks at me in confusion, “Those are all symptoms of not reverting to your mer form frequently enough. Like the bodies way of reminding us what we really are. But that makes no sense, considering we swim daily.”
I huff haplessly. “I’m sorry for making this you’re problem. Now your going to feel obligated to help me.”
“I’m afraid my motives for helping you are a little less innocent than a sense of obligation.” She says it so shyly, I almost laugh. The vulnerable expression on her face stops me cold.
Without another word, I swoop in and capture her lips with mine. A sense of unease settles in the pit of my stomach, and I groan into her mouth with arousal and relief.
I lie awkwardly across the sand, propping myself up by the elbows. She turns her body to face me, and an untamed primal instinct purrs in contentment.
Cora is mind blowingly responsive beneath my apprehensive touch. Her whole body twitches and squirms, her fingers dragging desperately across my shoulders and collar bone. I realize disconcertingly that she missed this as much as I did.
We break apart, breathless, and I feel great satisfaction at the needy pants falling from Coras parted lips.
“Come on,” I say, smiling smugly, “Let’s head back.”

Coras POV
We walk home hand in hand. I try to take comfort in our close proximity, and the way her hand squeezes mine like a lifeline. Instead my stomach twists with dread.
I have no idea what is wrong with Georgia. In hindsight I should have predicted  something like this happening. People don’t just change species without there being any unprecedented side effects.
We arrive at the house, and something causes Georgia to hesitate. She seems to be bracing herself, and for a second I am reminded of her first afternoon as a mer all those months ago.
She opens her mouth to say something, but the expression in her eyes is sad enough that I know I don’t want to hear it.
“Come on,” I say, tugging her inside, “Let’s go get something to eat.”
My mom left yesterday on a business trip, so we have the house to ourselves. Georgia seats herself on the kitchen table, and watches as I gather an assortment of food out the fridge. Laying it out on the table, we both cut and prepare the salad and vegetables in a way then is heartwarmingly familiar.
By the time weve cooked the fish, the sun is burying its warm face into the welcoming arms of the sleepless ocean.
We eat in silence, both of us being carried by the current of our jumbled thoughts. I notice Georgia suddenly tense beside me, her hands gripping the sides of the table.
“Cora,” she says my name with such weight that for a second I feel too weak to shoulder them. Her hands carding through my hair lends me strength, and I subconsciously lean into her touch.
“I just want to say that although the day I turned mer was possibly the scariest of my life, it was also the greatest. It marked the beginning of us, together as family and podmates and more, and the best days of my life. I don’t think there’s anything in this world I wouldn’t give to make you happy, and keep you safe.”
My heart starts pounding, and my breath hitches, “Why are you saying this?” I whisper, terrified of the answer. Georgia’s face is contorted in pain, and the grip she has on the table is so tight it creaks.
“I’m saying it because it true,” the words are slightly slurred, like each passing second makes them harder to say.
Blood roars in my ears, and my heart beat ascends to full out panic speed. I am by her side in a second kneeling down by her chair. Her body gives a violent shudder, causing her to slide off her seat, and onto my lap.
With our bodies pressed together, I realize I am trembling almost as much as she is. Panic and shock eat away all thoughts of logic. It’s hard to comprehend that just hours ago we had lain on the beach, dozing off and kissing under the lazy sun.
Georgia gives a horrible scream, her clawed fingers slicing through the marble floor like butter. A second later she scrambles off me, pushing herself frantically towards the corner of the room. I feel frozen in place, unable to move towards her.
With one final blood curdling scream, Georgia’s body begins to shift once again.