2x6

Georgia’s POV

School has become a lot more bearable since the full moon. Craig transferred to our Highschool within a week, and now the four of us go everywhere together. I almost feel like a real alpha now. I still feel a hole in my heart through, like my pack isn’t quiet complete. Maybe it has something to do with Jacob being a human, and the fact that I haven’t officially bonded Craig yet. I try not to let it bother me.

This afternoon we decided to do our home work at Coras house. We sprawl out in the lounge, books and pencils covering most surfaces. Cora tries to keep up a consistent flow of snacks, but three shifters and a teenage boy can eat like you wouldn’t believe.

“Hey, u-umm… Georgia,” Craig stutters. I look up from my physics homework.
“I wanted to- uh- ask you something, but it’s really fine if you say no,” I raise my eyebrows in surprise at his nervous tone, flushed face and fidgeting hands.
“Anything,” I assure him, and he looks down in embarrassment.
“I had hoped that… well if you didn’t mind… please could you… or at least consider… ” he rambles.

Jacob mercifully interjects.
“He wants to be in your back,” he states.

My heart thumps excitedly.
“Really?” I ask, grinning widely.

He nods, looking uncharacteristically emotional.
“If you don’t mind too much,” he adds self-deprecatingly.

“It would be such an honour,” I say emotionally, walking over and hugging his hunched figure.
“The only reason I haven’t bitten you already is because I wanted it to be your choice. It should always be your choice.”

My cheeks burn with shame, and I avoid Coras eyes.
“Please… just tell me when you are ready, and we’ll do it.”

“Now,” he blurts out, “I’m ready now.”
I refrain from asking if he’s sure. He’s look of conviction tells me such a question would be insulting. I abruptly remember this decision affect more than just the two of us. I look up, to find identical looks of affection and excitement on Cora and Jacob’s face. I can feel the shifter awakening beneath my skin, and rising to the surface. Cora nods encouragingly, and I hand my body over to its instincts.

My body shifts with the fluid effortlessness I know now not to take for granted. Craig instinctively changes too, and I’m reminded fondly of the mer tale incident a few nights back.

We must look so odd next to each other, a giant panther and full grown lion standing casually in the middle of the lounge. I bend down and lick his neck; he whimpers softly in response. The sound acts like a trigger, because my teeth bury themselves in his skin a second later. He cries out, and his legs give way beneath him. I lay him down gently, and try to ignore the temptation to release him. If I did let him go now, we would only ever be alpha and beta. If he bites me, we can be pack mates as well. I stand like this for a full minute, towering over his submissively limp form. I tentatively try out the new bond, sending my desires from my mind to his. Remarkably, this appears to work. He raises his head slowly, and licks gently at my neck, unboubtlably waiting for a reaction. When I don’t give one, he draws forth all his courage and gently punctures my skin. The change is immediate; his intense fear gives way to respectful caution, and the powerful hold I had over him is loosened. Only now do I  unclench my jaw.

I waste no time morphing back into a human, and Craig unconsciously follows my lead. I look over at our spectators, and feel unsurprised by their expressions. Jacob, having never seen anything like this, looks very scared and slightly horrified. Cora, on the other hand, is beaming at me proudly. She understands the significance of my patience in a way a human never will.

Cora rushes over and kisses me joviality on the nose, glowing with happiness.
“I can feel the bond too,” she sings, “He’s really one of us now, we’re all one big family!”

“Not quite,” I say, eyeing Jacob in a way that unnerves him.
“You can’t pack bond with me… I’m human!” he protests.

“So was I,” Georgia says thoughtfully, “maybe the universe will make special rules for you, too. ”

Jacob doesn’t look convinced. I can see by the defensive way he sits beside Craig, that he thinks Cora might have hurts him.

Craig seems to be slowly regaining awareness. His eyes blink open, and a lazy smile stretches across his face.
“God this feels amazing,” he sighs, and I can’t help but nod in agreement. Land shifters benefit astronomically from having an alpha… they become stronger, faster, smarter, more in control. Right now he probably feels higher than he ever has before, like a blind man suddenly being granted sight. Craig is a very lucky guy. He gets all the pros of having an alpha without the control and authority most alphas have over their betas.

Georgia is such an amazing person, I think. Even given the opportunity to have ultimate power over another creature, she would rather we all stand as equals.

Jacob is looking at Craig in concern.
“How can you feel good right now, when you looked half dead a minute ago.”
Craig smiles dazedly at Georgia.
“I have the best alpha in the world,” he grins, “I was completely ready to submit to you, and I’m sure it would have been great to be your beta. But right now,” he throws his arms into the air and giggles, “I feel like a god!”

Jacob’s eyes widen in horror.
“What the fuck did you do to him, Georgia?” he spits

“I gave him more freedom than he was expecting,” she states, looking at Craig fondly, “He’s on a bit of a power high right now, he’ll stabilize in a minute.”

“Don’t worry baby,” Craig coos, stroking Jacob’s hair.
“I will explain everything later,” he says, and promptly falls  asleep.