Chapter Two

Georgias POV

I have never felt so warm in my life. Hot puffs of air moisten my neck. I feel her heart pump lethargically around her motionless body, and a pair of eyelashes flutter against my cheek. I tighten my arms around her, drawing her beautiful fire closer to me. She sighs softly, and something in the contented way she does it jolts me into consciousness. My brain takes in the situation and a bolt of panic has me scrambling backwards.

"What.... What? " I stutter, tumbling off the bed. I realize I am naked and desperately grasp for the blanket, to retain a sliver of modesty. Cora is completely awake when I glance upwards, her eyes panicked like a deer in the headlights.
"It's not what it looks like! " she blurts out.

A foreign growling noise escapes my throat. The shock of the sound is enough to turn my anger to fear. Cora sees the shift in my demenour immediately, but the growling noise increases when she makes a move to come closer.

"Georgia, just hear me out, " she pleads. She pulls a sheet around her body, making it somewhat easier to concentrate.

"Last night, I think we pod bonded, " she says, gesturing to her face. It takes me a second to realize what she means; one of her sea green eyes has been replaced by a flickering silver one.

"Holy shit! " I exclaim, as a new thought occurs to me. Mer people consider pod bonds to be sacred, and last a lifetime. Considering they cant die of natural causes and only be killed, this can be a very long time. Pod mates is more than family, it is the people who you devote your life to, and share your very soul with. And in a matter of minutes I had taken away her choice.

"I am so sorry, "I whisper, my hands raised to cover my mouth in horror.
"I never meant to force this on you, I am truly sorry, "

Cora looks confused, " Sorry for what? " she asks gently

"I know pod bonds are special to your kind, I never wanted to steal this from you, to tie you to this commitment. I would never hurt... " But I had, I realize in disgust. I had hurt her in an irreversible, primitive way.

"Georgia... oh gods you have no idea, do you? You becoming a mer...it's the single most selfish yet tempting thing I could ever wish for. To me, we were already bonded, I just didn't think you'd ever be able to reciprocate. "

"Oh, " I sigh in relief. Cora huffs in amusement. I start climbing to my feet, keeping the blanket wrapped securely around my torso.
"How much of last night do you remember anyway? " she inquires. I let the memories wash over me.

Flashes of images, and slivers of emotion press past the haze of oblivion, but not much else.

"The important parts, I think." I chew on my lip for a moment. "What do we do now? I mean, school starts in a week, and I'm not sure people will even recognize me. "

A flash of fear contorts her face, before she swallow it down forcefully. "We've got time to make a plan. For now, let's focus on the baby steps. "

"Like finding some clothes, " I suggest.
To my eternal surprise, Coras cheeks darken in embarrassment. Her expression was so adorable I feel mine do the same.
Cora scoffs loudly, "God's we are pathetic." I snort my agreement, scooping up my blanket and going to grab a shirt.

I hear shuffling from behind me and the door creaks shut. I exhale sharply, feeling weirdly off balance without Coras presence. Baby steps, I assure myself, tugging a baggy shirt and pair of swimming shorts on. I get distracted halfway through though, tracing my fingers over the silvery lines on the side of my torso, and the faint formation of scales that stretch from my elbow to my hand. I pause wonderment when I realize all of my scars, bruises and skin imperfections had completely faded. A twisted sense of foreboding bubbles up in my gut when I think of how different my face must look. I had never been a pretty girl, so the transformation probably altered almost all my facial features.
I wonder for a second if my gran will still recognize me, before scoffing painfully at the stupidity of the thought. For the last year her eyesight, hearing and mind had been slipping into the cold oblivion of old age. Even if she is my guardian, the changes of her noticing any difference is minimal. I will just have to be careful when mom visits, I think, before discarding that thought too. Mom hasn't come round in more than a year.

I've just finished putting on the shorts when I hear Cora clearing her throat from behind me. "Couldn't last another second away from my glorious awesomeness? " I tease in a way that is comfortingly familiar to our relationship. But the way she looks at me, like she secretly thinks I might not be wrong, sends an alien shiver across my skin.

"Screw you and your self appointed awesomeness, you cow, " she quips playfully, and we shift back into familiarity.

"So..." I question, stepping toward her, "What now?"

She hesitates. "Let's go to the beach. I can show you the basics, splash around a bit."
She sees my hesitance. "Come on," she whines, "I've seen the pictures you draw of me swimming. Wouldn't you like to know how it feels?"

"No," I say stubbornly, trying to pretend the idea of growing a tail isn't incredibly intimidating. Somehow I think she sees right through me

"Fine," she folds. "You can bring your art book and I will swim, just like always."

I eye her sceptically, trying to find the catch. "Come oooonnn... " she grouches, grabbing at my hand. I let her pull me out the door, book and pencils under my arm.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

I did a rough painting of how I think Cora would look, but it is by no means cast in stone. Let me know what you think❤️❤️

 Let me know what you think❤️❤️