2x3

Coras POV
“… was found dead in her beach cottage this morning. Neighbors expressed concern to the police the previous day, after a young woman forcefully entered the property, and began yelling at Ms Grey. The report was dismissed as a domestic dispute that lasted only a couple seconds. Police drove by this morning, to check if everything had settled, only to find two woman at the scene, one dead, and one unconscious. The second woman’s identification is unknown thus far…”

I switch the tv off. Georgia had told me what happened over breakfast, like it was the most blasé thing in the world. It didn’t even seem real till I saw it on TV, and I’m still struggling to comprehend it. No wonder Georgia broke down last night, most people would be a mad, hysterical mess, instead of her stoic calm. I’m not sure which behaviour would be healthier.

Georgia walks back into the room, and I thank my timing. In her hands she has a large tub of ice-cream, two spoons and our towels.

“Let’s go to the beach.” She says, and I smile my agreement.

We walk in silence, both of us thinking deeply. We reach the beach and she lays out our towels right beside a smooth bolder, so we eat the ice-cream sitting upright.

She sit down first, and I take a deep breath of air for courage. Instead of sitting next to her like I usually do, I plopped my butt down between her legs, and leaned my back against her chest. I can feel her heart beating erratically, and smirk with satisfaction at a job well done.

“H-here,” she stutters slightly, “You can hold the tub.”

She places the icecream on my lap.
“It’s cold,” I whine teasingly.
“Don’t worry baby,” she coos, her legs tightening around mine, “I can keep you warm.”

I laugh, even though I know it’s not really a joke. “Just shut up and eat some ice-cream, before it melts.”
Georgia happily obliges. After a couple minutes of contented eating, Georgia’s spoon halts halfway to the tub.

“What’s wrong,” I ask.
“Tonight’s the full moon, ” she says, pulling a face.
“Its just weird that I can feel it. Like a buzzing in my blood, not sore, but uncomfortable… distracting."

I’m not sure how to respond. When she first shifted into a panther, I dedicated a lot of my time to learning everything I could about her situation. Very little actually helped, which wasn't much of a surprize. From what I can gather, she shows the characteristics of an alpha; strong, deadly and in control. It would make sense, in a way, that her alpha status extended across both of her species.

I kiss her arm quickly, to let her know I’m not afraid. She has enough insecurities about us, without me adding another one.

“We can walk through the plantations later, so you can spend your change in the forest. Instead of cooped up in our garden like last time,” I offer. That was another thing I read. Land shifters usually loose a lot of their humanity on the full moon. Being in nature can help anchor them to themselves, and find that equilibrium between man and beast. According to specialist Dr. Carter anyway.

“It's fine,” she says gesturing vaguely to the side, “It would be a very late night for you and we have school tomorrow.”

I huff in annoyance. School is bearable, but only just. Matthew still torments Georgia about her choice of “fuck buddy” as he calls me. A new kid is arriving at school tomorrow so at least there’s something mildly interesting happening.

Georgia ruffles my hair briefly, before wrapping her arms around me in a tight hug.
“You don’t need to worry about me,” she proclaims, “I’ve got us both covered.”