2x2

Coras POV

“Hey,” I whisper, my lips fluttering against her cheek. “Wake up.”

The room is nearly pitch black. Her arm tightens instinctively around my waist as she slowly emerges from her slumber.

“Hi,” she smirks in a lazily rueful way. Her eyes are still half shut, and her hands rub comforting circles against my back that make me want to fall asleep in her arms.

“You’ve got a bit of a situation,” I tell her swallowing back a giggle.

She frowns, “What do u m-… oh.”
I press my lips against hers, and I smile affectionately. “You appear to have grown your mermaid tale during the night. Don’t worry, it happens with young mers, while they are trying to find control.”

“I thought I had control,” she whines, and her tale shifts back to legs. Naked legs. I look away, not wanting to embarrass her, or let her see the bright blush across my cheeks.

Suddenly she laughs, and I look at her in surprise, “What?”

“You seem to be in a bit of a situation your self,” she exclaims, and bring her hand down to touch my mer tale.

I gasp in surprise. I must have been instinctively aware of my alphas physical state, and responded in kind. And I thought I was embarrassed before. The fact that Georgia has this amount of control over me without even trying is… mortifying.

I look up to see Georgia grinning triumphantly, “Looks like I’m not the only one with control issues.”

I feel too humiliated to even respond.

“Hey, don’t look so bleak. This is how I feel almost all the time. Like, if my body was a bus I’d only be a part time driver.”

I try to turn back, but it doesn’t seem to be working. I’m stuck with a tale and my bruised pride.

Suddenly I’m being lifted into the air. Georgia has me in her strong, long arms, and is carrying me towards the door, blankets and all.
“Hey!” I yelp, flinging my arms round her neck.

“We’re going swimming!” she declares brightly, despite the late hour.

The beach looks completely stunning, illuminated by a nearly full moon. When we reach the water, Georgia makes quick work of untangling us from the bedding. She leaps into the water, me still in her arms, and an exhilarated laugh escapes me. We crash into the waves, and a million bubbles cascade along our skin.

I sigh deeply at the feeling. It sounds pathetically cheesy, but there’s no place I would rather be. We swim deeper into the ocean and my heart swells with pride at the grace with which she moves. Georgia has come so far in the last couple weeks.

We head towards our favourite spot, a small underwater cave located about 700m off the shore. Georgia takes my hand halfway through the swim, and keeps glancing at me from the corner of her eye. I know something is bothering her, but I’m hesitant to break the peace by asking.

The cave is really nothing special. It rests on the ground like a hollowed out bolder, and more often than not we end up lying on top of it rather than in it.

Cora sits down on it, and pulls me gently into her lap. She’s so tall now, I fit between her arms like an overgrown child. She strokes her right hand along my tail, and uses her left to twirl my long, red-black hair. I rest my forehead against her neck and sigh in contentment.

“Do you ever wish… that our dimensions hadn’t merged.” She asks me quietly. “Humans… we cause a lot of shit. I’m sure your entire species was a lot beter off without us.”

I smile lovingly at her.
“I can’t imagine my dimension being able to give me a fraction of the happiness I find with you, so I’m gonna have to go with a firm no,” I kiss the pronounced arch of her cheek bone, and the sharp corner of her jaw line.

“Although it’s probably worth pointing out that you aren’t human any more, so any flaws you thought were unique to mankind are more likely interspecies .”

I feel Georgia’s arms start to shake slightly and I realize she’s crying. I am taken completely by surprise. She pulls me in even closer, pressing her forehead against my shoulder, and begins sobbing in earnest.

I freeze, completely clueless as to why she’s crying, or how to sooth her. I brush my tail against hers, and she hesitantly winds hers around mine. Even her tail is longer and stronger than mine, I think wistfully. With our bodies pressed this close, I can almost feel our pod bond pulsing between us.

She calms down after a few minutes. Her hands go back to carding through my hair, like I’m the one that needs comforting. The combination of her gentle caress and the rocking waves nearly has me nodding off to sleep. Georgia is quick to notice my drowsiness.

“Rest my love. I’ll take us home, don’t worry about anything. I’ve got you.”
I’m swallowed by sweet oblivion.

Georgia’s POV

Cora feels so light in my arms. The journey back home is effortless, and she remains soundly asleep the entire time. I dress her in a nightgown, because it seems the least challenging of all her night time clothing. I slip on a pair of my pyjamas that have taken permanent residence in her house. I lay her down in her bed, but am hesitant to climb in after her. Sure we have been sharing  bed for months, but I seem to have a very specific phobia of moving too fast, and doing things she hasn’t given me permission to do.

I’m about to fetch a blanket to sleep on the ground, when Coras eyes blink open.
“Come to bed,” she practically slurred, hooking her fingers round my wrist and pulling me towards her. I exhale heavily in relief. Lying with her in my arms, I don’t think there will ever be a time when I fail to appreciate how good it feels.

We fit together like an oxymoron; two different people who make just about as much sense together as they do apart.

I just want her to be safe, and happy. That’s all I have left in this world to pray for, and on nights like these I live in terror that all I can offer is not enough.