Chapter 9

The change happens in less than a second. Where Georgia crouched only a moment ago, now lies a massive black animal. It’s sides heave in aching gulps of air, and it’s large paws twitch weakly.
I shuffle towards it on all fours, until I can see its face. A panther, I realize in awe. The facts of the situation finally fit together like a highly unconventional puzzle.
In our dimension, we had two types of people; those of the land, or the sea. We had very little to do with each other. Land people lived far inland, and mer hardly ever ventured past the shore.
What was common knowledge, however, was that just like us, land people were shapeshifters. Unlike us, they tend to shift into different types of creatures, instead of just the one. They also have more control over their change, capable of shifting back and forth at will. Expect for the night of the full moon.
All these thoughts explode in my head, making it ache with their significance and magnitude. Like a oak tree trying to grow in a flower pot, I thought distantly, rubbing my face.
A soft whining sound has my eyes flying to Georgia’s face. Silver eyes blink at me in confusion, and she looks so adorable my heart melts.
Georgia’s POV

Holy shit. I thought I was dying. The pain was so much, I lost all my awareness of existence beyond the agony. I became a single minded thing that didn’t think or live or dream, only ache. Now I can feel my head clearing, the fog of animalistic agony receding.

My whole body feels wrong. Like the first time I grew a mer tale, instinct guides my movements. My eyes draw open, blinking owlishly at the assault of light and colour.

My gaze is instinctively drawn to Cora, who is kneeling by my head, and smiling from ear to ear.

“Oh my gods, how is it possible that you just got even cuter?” she squeals.

I do my best to glare at her, and her smile shortens but her eyes still shine. “I was so scared, I thought you were… I thought this was it. Instead it turns out your also a land shapeshifter as well as a mer.”

Oh, I think, at least that explains why I’m too scared to move… apparently I’m an animal right now.

Her expression quickly fades at my lack of response, “Hey it’s okay, I’m sorry for smiling I’m just so relieved that you’re alive. I forgot this must be terrible for you.” Her face is twisted with guilt.

She absently scratches the side of my head, a strange purring sound vibrates through my body. Her fingers feel amazing in my fur, but the noise I just made make me want to hide my face in shame.

I’m reminded of when I first became a mer, and how frightened I had been by all the strange sounds I had inadvertently made. Instead of fear this time, I feel frustration. I had only just got embarrassing tells more or less under control, now I was being faced with a whole set of new ones.

To my dismay, I realize I am growling. For the fist time since waking, I can see Cora looks unsure. My stomach twists with the thought that I could cause my packmate unease. Wanting to nullify her, I stretch my neck and give her knee a quick, reassuring lick.

Her smile slowly returns. “Come on,” she says, “Let’s try get you up.”

Good idea in theory, I think, but a lot harder in execution. I decide to start by taking stock of all my appendages. Where my hands and feet should be, I feel large padded paws. I clench my arms and legs, only to find them roughly the same length. An alien fifth appendage flicks in agitation being me, and I realize with a jolt that it’s a tale.

I move very slowly. I shift from lying on my side to my stomach. I find the lack of pain in my body faintly disconcerting. Considering my earlier agony, I should at least feel some residue stiffness.

Gaining confidence, I move into a sitting position. Taking a deep, calming breath and bracing myself for failure, I stand… and somehow remain standing. Its kind of like swimming with a tale, I think, somehow my body just knows what it’s doing.

I take a hesitant step towards Cora. She stands, and I am shocked that we stand almost at eye level.

Coras eyes go misty, and my heart aches for having put her in such a stressful situation. She looks down to hide her falling tears, but the smell of salt fills my nose. In attempt to comfort her, I gently rub my head against her shoulder. Her hands press into my fur, and the purr tears involuntarily from my chest once again.
Cora giggles, and I take the opportunity to lick the tear tracks from her face. She smiles at me faintly, “How is it possible that after surviving agonizing pain, and a second species transfer, you are the one comforting me.”

I attempt to answer her, but the best I can do is a high pitched whining sound. Cora smiles gratefully at my attempt at communication. Now that the adrenaline is fading, I can see her eyes starting to droop.

I gently catch the hem of her shirt between my teeth. I drag her towards the couch, and Bob my head at the tv.

“Good idea,” she says, flicking it on. We find a mind numbing cartoon to watch, and Cora collapses onto the couch.

I look sceptically at the two-seater. Instead of even attempting to squeeze on beside her, I lay down on the floor, my head resting on her feet. Cora falls asleep within seconds, but a strange sense of restlessness keeps me awake.

I realize I can feel the pull of the moon all land shapeshifters are subjective to. Moving with impossible stealth, I creep out into the garden.

The full moon seems the brightest I’ve ever seen it. My muscles bulge with the effort of restraining the need to run. I realize with a jolt that my current lucidity is an anomaly. Most shifters lost their minds to animalistic instincts, and all I felt was a slight longing to be free. From what, I wasn’t really sure.

Coras POV

I wake up with the profound feeling of solitude. I realize Georgia is no longer by my side, and I panic. I leap off the couch and stumble forward, only to be halted by the sight I see through our kitchen window.

A huge black panther is pacing the garden. My brain denies what my eyes insist is reality. Only when my memories from earlier come back into focus do I allow myself to breathe.

Georgia looks unnaturally beautiful, walking between our well tended to rose bushes and manicured grass. Her black coat shines in a way that seems to swallow up the light from the moon and stars.

Her ear twitches, and she turns to look at me. Our eyes meet, and I realize that in a world with so much suffering, hate and despair, it made sense that the occasional stand of love wove its way through our daily turmoil. It is just a matter of grabbing onto it, and nurturing it like a piece of you're soul.

I see that love in her eyes, now. And I know she can see mine.