Chapter 6

Coras POV
It’s always been just the two of us, mother and daughter, against the world. For me anyway. It’s hard to comprehend that at some point in time before I was born, mom was part of a pod. I can’t imagine her trusting other people with the type of faith the bond instils.

I was twelve when I realized the way we lived wasn’t normal. We were being taught mer social studies at school, and our teacher explained how mers tended to live in groups, forming unbreakable bonds with each other.

That afternoon I asked my mom why we were alone, and why we weren’t bound to each other. She told me she made the mistake of bonding many years ago. Her whole pod had been killed, and the pain she suffered because of it was nearly unbearable. She said she might have ended her life if it weren’t for the slight bulge stomach. She said that even for a mer, I took years longer than usual to grow in her stomach. When she finally gave birth, she took one look at my innocent face, and decided against initiating pod bonds. “If something ever happens to me one day,” she said, “I don’t want you to go through the same heart ache I did.”
It had made sense, at the time. My mom, the hero,  couldn’t stand the thought of hurting me.

But now, lying here in Georgia’s arms, I can’t help resent her decision. Every moment I have with her is worth a thousand years of heart ache and loss. As long as we stay together now, in the moment, the future will never be able to reach us.

It’s been a week since her transformation, and school starts today. We spent most of our time down at the beach, though I haven’t found the courage to bring up swimming again. Mom left the house early Wednesday morning, and came back hours later, bearing fake birth certificates, and adoption papers.

Legally, Georgia is now Georgina Blue, my adopted sister.

Georgia and mom seem to be seeing eye to eye, though I’m not sure when that happened, or even how. I haven’t asked. I’m just grateful they're getting along, despite the drastic power shift in Georgia’s favour. It’s weird hearing her authoritive voice directed at my mom, and even weirder when my mom listens.

“Hey,” Georgia murmurs drowsily, “Go back to sleep.” I snort. “Can’t. We have school in an hour.”

Georgia sights petulantly, her droopy eyes regarding me absently  “I was kind of hoping you would forget.”

“No chance,” I say, gently extracting myself from her embrace, “I’m way too excited.”

“Liar,” she states blandly, and buries her head in the pillow. I notice her inhaling deeply into the spot where my head had lain, and swallow thickly. God’s, Georgia turned me on, and most of the time it was completely accidental. The thought sends a vibrant blush across my face, and I hastily stride to my cupboard, least she notice it.

“Come on, it won’t be that bad. We have each other’s backs, just like always. Nothing can go wrong that we can’t fix together.” I encourage her.

With my back still turned, I strip and hastily get dressed. When I look back, her head is still buried in the pillow.

“Denial is for the weak of will. Pain is just strength leaving the body. Strength grows in the moments when you think you cant go on but keep going anyway. Power comes-“

“Shut the fuck up and I’ll do whatever you freaking want, you conniving bitch.” she interrupts my tangent, her voice resigned.

I just laugh, already used to her foul morning moods.
“All I ask is that you get your pretty ass up, out of bed and fully dressed by the time I come back with breakfast.”

Georgia huffs, and starts the long process of dragging herself out of bed. I sigh fondly, and wander slowly towards the kitchen. It was going to be a long day.