Chapter 6

HOME OF COL. JOHN CASEY

ECHO PARK, LOS ANGELES, CA

Amelia finally emerged from the bedroom after falling asleep a second time, fatigue hitting her after she was drained of tears and questions. She probably could have stayed in bed for the remainder of her life but her bladder demanded otherwise. She quietly walked past the opened door of Casey's room as she made her way to the bathroom.

Casey looked up from his bedside, SIG Sauer in one hand, cleaning rag in the other and silently watched the oblivious woman stride past.

After she had washed her hands, Amelia walked into the living room to seek out her protector. She walked toward the back of the couch, entering from the dining area to the living room and noticed the floor was practically covered in shopping bags. Curiosity got the better of her and she gently pulled on the handle of one plastic bag, daring to take a little peak at the contents inside.

"I had my daughter get some things this morning," Casey's voice startled her from behind, causing her to pull her hand away quickly, feeling guilty for snooping. Casey nodded at the bags she was curious about.

"It's all for you. If anything doesn't fit, just set it into one of those bags and we can exchange them, no problem."

Amelia looked back at the numerous bags that littered the living room, gaping outwardly.

"You mean, all of this is mine? It must have cost a fortune!" Casey chuckled softly and shook his head while walking towards the refrigerator.

"It's no big thing. I have a government card, they footed the bill. You hungry? Or do you want to try on your things first?" He stood with the door open, feeling the chill from the machine against his body as he waited for her to answer.

Amelia looked around at the clothes and, for that moment, felt distracted from her pain by the prospect of trying on all of the beautiful things that were bought just for her. She turned back to Casey's waiting expression, her smile had a hint of excitement in it which made Casey's heart flutter in his chest.

"I'm going to be a while in my room, I think," she answered, scooping up bags and heading her way back to her private space. Casey closed the refrigerator and was soon following her, his arms filled with the last of the boxes and bags of clothing, silently thanking Alex, and just shy of cursing her as well. That kid sure can shop on an open budget, he thought to himself, almost sweating under the weight of his load.

Amelia set the bags she carried onto her bed. Casey noted with appreciation that it was made beautifully, something his roommate wouldn't do unless Alex was coming over. Amelia pointed to the floor, bidding Casey to set down his burden where she directed. It was a fluid motion, her pointing without looking, one that was practiced since practically birth.

He was almost out of her room when Amelia softly called out to him. He turned.

"Thank you, John. Not that I minded sleeping in your shirt and shorts, but this... This is a wonderful gift and surprise. I appreciate it," she said, smiling at him once again. Casey stood for a minute before remembering himself and he smiled back, a small one, but huge by "Casey standards" and nodded to her.

"You're welcome," he answered before shutting her door.

He walked through the hallway slowly, listening to her exclaiming over the clothing as the bags sounded their removal from their entrapment. Casey entered his room and resumed cleaning his SIG Sauer before laying it down next to ten other SIG Sauer P226 Tac Ops pistols and picking up his M4A1.  Casey began disassembling it by removing the magazine and checking to make sure there wasn't a round in the chamber.