Chapter 18

HOME OF COL. JOHN CASEY

ECHO PARK, LOS ANGELES CA

"A level head means survival."

Casey heard the words echo through his mind as he straightened himself up, ran his fingers through his hair and opened the door to go back to Amelia. He was level. He was centered. He had plans for the day that weren't being disrupted if he could help it.

Amelia looked towards him as the bathroom door opened. She was worried for him, she knew it couldn't have been easy to learn your friends were in danger. It must be so horrible for him, she thought.

She stood and walked towards him, meeting him halfway between the couch and the hallway. He smiled down at her and she reached up and wrapped her arms around his neck, hoping her comforting touched helped even just a little.

Casey returned her hug, focusing on how her body felt against him as she stood in his arms. The soft curves of her body molded against his own battle-hardened one made her a perfect fit for him. He quickly realized he was focusing a little too hard on how good she felt against him, causing him to release his hold on her and place his hands on her shoulders, bringing her eyes to meet his.

Amelia stood on tiptoe to kiss him and he happily accepted it, pulling her to him again and touching her face, inhaling her scent. She smiled against his lips and gave him a quick peck before backing off of him.

"I'm going to make breakfast while you shower and change, and then we can hit the road afterwards," Casey said, quietly, rubbing her arms. Amelia's face fell instantly, causing Casey to feel concern and search her face for any reasoning behind her mood change.

"What is it, Amelia?"

She looked up at him and his heart almost broke for the sadness in her eyes.

"I'll do anything to keep from going underground, John," she answered softly.

"What?" John was perplexed but more than that, he desperately needed that look to leave her face.

"The lady on the screen, your General...she said if you weren't sure you could be the one to protect me that the CIA and NSA would be able to send me to a secured location...underground."

"Is that where you think I'm taking you?" Casey asked, the realization setting in on him.

"I'll run. As much as I've come to adore you, I'll run, John Casey. And not you, or anyone else in the world would be able to find and catch me," Amelia's voice gained strength as she spoke up at him. She was serious.

Casey's heart skipped a beat when she said his name, his full name. It was music to his ears and he wouldn't have minded if she were to repeat it over and over for the rest of their lives. He held her close to him and she relaxed in his arms, still uncertain as to what was going on.

"I'm not taking you underground. I'm a man of my word, and I told you I was going to take care of you for as long as you needed me to," Casey explained and Amelia sighed with relief.

"And if you ran," he continued, his chin on her head. "There's no where that you could run to that I wouldn't find you." He stepped away from the embrace so she could see just how serious he was. Amelia smiled.

"That sounds like something a stalker would say, John," she warned.

"If it comes to that," Casey answered, cocking an eyebrow at her, then smiled. He bent down and kissed her again.

"So where are you taking me after breakfast, then," Amelia asked after their lips separated.

"You said you wanted more training. I am taking you back to Castle," Casey answered, matter-of-factly. Amelia dropped her head against his chest. Duh, she thought.