Chapter 21

HOME OF COL. JOHN CASEY

ECHO PARK, LOS ANGELES CA

Casey's heart was pounding against his chest as one hand slowly moved from the lower back of the woman he was embracing, up to her hair. His fingers felt the soft curled strands that hung loose from the elegant bun and it brought him back to the occasion for her being dressed up. He was serving her dinner. Reluctantly, he pulled his lips off of hers and stood slightly straighter. Amelia's eyes opened slowly, her cheeks were bright red and her lips were just a little swollen from the friction of their kiss. She had a sparkle in her eye and something else, a look that reached out to him from beyond her propriety and socialite training. She wanted him. It took all he had within him to resist that want, to focus on what he wanted to accomplish with the meal, and the gift.

Casey cleared his throat, trying to find words to say to her, wondering if he should apologize or if he should just dismiss the entire idea and fall right back into her arms permanently. He begrudgingly disregarded the latter, though if he were to have a preference....

"You really look great," Casey said softly, causing a smile to grow on Amelia's face. She ended up flashing her teeth with her grin displayed widely, humored at the words that were greatly emphasized by the actions not a second before they were spoken.

"I believe you," she answered. Casey scoffed and then chuckled, releasing his hold on Amelia slowly, dragging his hands away as though they had a mind to stay on her body all their own. He ushered her over to the table, seating her at one end.

Two candles centered the small surface while an arrangement of flowers lay between them, the simple but beautiful blue hyacinths in a short, silver vase. Amelia watched as Casey lit the candles and offered to pour her a glass of wine. She smiled and as the clear liquid filled the flute, she had to ask:

"What's the special occasion, John? Do you have some good news?"

"Well," Casey said, placing the bottle back into the bucket of ice that sat on the side of the table. "If I did, I would keep you in suspense for longer than originally intended, for asking about it." He winked at her and walked to the counter, grabbing the baking dish from the surface and returning with it.

"Turkey cobbler, homemade biscuits on top--"

"Mmm, oh that smells amazing, John! Did you make this all on your own?" Amelia was pleasantly surprised and more than a little shocked. She knew he could cook, but this was comfort food, something most people don't cook anymore. Casey looked at her as he was scooping some onto her plate.

"Of course. My hands are for more than just being gun-holding receptacles you know," he answered her, seating himself beside her and unwrapping his napkin.

Amelia lifted her fork to her mouth. She closed her eyes as the flavors filled her and she hummed.

"Mmm, well I'm glad for that. This is truly well-done, Colonel. I can't wait to find out how to make this one," she smiled as she looked at him and Casey shook his head.

"Secret family recipe," he said to her between bites. "Can't do it."

"Wait," Amelia said, stunned. "Seriously?"

"No," answered Casey, grinning slightly at his prank. "But I had you going." Amelia playfully slapped his arm and he laughed, grabbing her hand before she could whip it away and kissing her fingertips.

"I'll show you the recipe tomorrow and maybe we could send it to Alex."

"Or put it in the freezer for a quick warm-up meal for the future?" offered Amelia. Casey nodded.