Chapter 11

HOME OF COL. JOHN CASEY

ECHO PARK, LOS ANGELES CA

Casey enjoyed nothing more than quiet mornings where he could sip his coffee at his table, read his paper and take apart and clean a few of his weapons. He handled them like they were lovers, gentle but firmly letting it know he was in charge. This morning's weapon of choice was his Heckler & Koch MP5KA4. Smaller than the MP5SD3, Casey's gun held 15 rounds and had a 3 round burst added for extra punch. He smiled as he got lost in sliding the shammy in his hand around the body of the sub machine weapon.

"John, I'm bored," Amelia's voice cut into his concentration like a knife through butter as she entered the room. He looked over and saw that while he was still in his tan bathrobe, Amelia had gotten dressed. She wore tan slacks that were cut straight and relaxed with a white blouse that was made of light and flowy material. Her white heels set off the outfit beautifully and he took a moment to silently appreciate the beauty and grace the woman before him held before he set the weapon in his hands gently down and folded his fingers into themselves.

"I could show you how to clean a gun," Casey offered. Amelia smiled at him and shook her head.

"As exciting and educational as that would be, I want to do something fun." Casey looked confused for a moment.

"Cleaning a gun isn't fun? I'm doing something wrong," he said as she walked around him and opened the refrigerator behind him.

"I'll say," Amelia replied, pulling out a container of orange juice and pouring the rest of its contents into glasses for both her and Casey. She set the one in front of him before wrapping her arm around his shoulders as best as she could.

"I'm teasing," she said softly, laughing and disengaging before Casey could find an appropriate way to react to her embrace.

"Seriously, though, I want to go somewhere. There has to be someplace that we can go, just to get out of these four walls," Amelia stated, sitting next to him at his table. Casey's face grew serious.

"I don't want to risk taking you out in public where anyone can get to you," he replied. Amelia's face fell in disappointment. She glanced up at Casey, her eyes pleading.

"John, please? I won't let you out of my sight and I won't leave yours. And I'm not asking for all day, just a couple hours or so. Maybe go to the beach or to a store, even."

Casey stood to put his re-assembled and cleaned weapon in its rightful place in a hidden compartment in the living room and turned to look at her, still looking at him. He thought for a moment, looking hard at her.

"A store? Why would we go to a store?"

"Well for one thing, you're out of orange juice," she offered, victory rising in her eyes. "And besides, I was thinking of getting one of those radio thingies that hang in the shower."

"I do NOT listen to music in the shower," said Casey, shaking his head. Amelia smiled coyly.

"Oh, come on, John. Everybody sings in the shower," her smile lit up a little more. Casey sighed.

"If you really want one we can have Alex pick one up after she leaves work." He was about to offer to teach her anything else she wanted to know when he noticed her face growing dark as she looked away.

"I need to get away from here," she said softly, raising her eyes to him as he slowly came closer to her, concern in his face. "You don't understand. It's great that you have many things to occupy your time here, but I don't. The learning stuff is appreciated but most of the time...I have to drive out the silence. I don't care if we spend any money or if we even get out of the car. I need to get away from the quiet. Because when it's quiet, John...I hear the gunshots. I hear the screams."