Chapter Four

Chapter Four
Sax kept his eyes on Rowan as he slowly started walking. The girl and other guy followed close behind. I remained in the middle of their little circle, my heart racing. What happens now? Are they just going to let us go?

"What happens now," the other male questioned, voicing my thoughts.

"We can't portal out of here until we are out of the palace. There are too many wards preventing a portal from being created here," Sax stated.

The male and female nodded as if this made a ton of sense. To them, it probably does. I sighed, not knowing if I could ask them questions or not. I have a feeling that now is not the time.

I followed them down a few twisting hallways, and a few more staircases, before we were pushing through a set of doors and into the fresh air. I took a deep breath of the fresh air, fresher than anything I've breathed in a very long time. Chicago air isn't the cleanest thing in the world.

As we stepped outside, I couldn't help but think how easy it was to get out of that place. No guards stopped us. No one even batted an eye. In fact, we haven't bumped into anyone at all. An uneasy feeling erupted in my stomach.

"Could this be a trap?"

All three turned to me, startled.

"What do you mean," Sax questioned

"Wasn't it a little too easy to get out of there," I questioned, biting my lip.

The girls bright eyes widened. "She's right."

Sax smiled, causing a dimple to appear in his right cheek. "It's fine, Selene. We've got Freya. That's all that matters."

"Ah, Saxon. Always the optimist," a voice spoke up, sending chills down my spine.

I whirled around. Sebastian stood in the doorway we just walked out of. He grinned, an evil looking thing. Saxon instantly pushed me behind him, as if to protect me.

I stepped out from behind him, not having any intentions of letting these people get hurt just to protect me. "What do you want?"

Sebastian laughed and shrugged. He made a move to come closer to me, but was thrown back into the wall. At first I thought I had done it, but then I saw Saxon approach him out of the corner of my eye.

"Stay the hell away from her," he growled, as his hand shot out. Sebastian slowly rose, his face going purple. Saxon has telekinesis too. "I would kill you if it wouldn't start a war."

After a few moments of Saxon choking him, he slowly let him drop. Sebastian fell to the ground, gasping for breath. "Lucky for you, it's not her I'm after today."

I furrowed my eyebrows as Sebastian turned to me. "This is for thinking you could leave here unscathed."

Then, before anyone could blink, there was a gunshot. Where Sebastian got the gun, I have no idea. I turned around as the other male slowly dropped to his knees, his stomach bleeding profusely.

"Gabriel," Selene screamed as she ran to his side.

My heart dropped into my stomach. He's not going to survive a wound like that. I walked over to him, as if in slow motion. I dropped to my knees beside him, trying to cover the wound. It was no use. My hands were coated in his blood in an instant.

Saxon squatted down, trying to get Selene's attention. "We have to get out of here. Now."

Selene closed her eyes. She took a deep breath and leaned down to close Gabriel's. Then she kissed his cheek and slowly rose to her feet. "Okay."