Chapter Twenty Two

Chapter Twenty Two
The second we entered, a hush fell upon the room as usual. Only then did I realize we were using the ballroom for this meeting. You would think we would use a throne room or something. Not that I know anything about the politics of this world.

The ballroom was transformed, with a long table situated against the far wall. Five people sat at the table, presumably the council. The rest of the room was full to the max with chairs. I wasn't expecting so many people to be here. In the front row, there were three chairs. I would assume they were for the three of us. The queen stood in the middle of the room with no chair in sight.

When she noticed us, she beckoned for us to come in. Rowan and Saxon each momentarily let go of my arm so they could bow deeply before reclasping our arms. I dipped my head as Saxon had taught me, before leading the three of us to our chairs. They finally let go when we were sitting down, and I got to get a good look at each council member.

Saxon had said that there are fae, demon, water wraith, vampire, and werewolf species. Identifying the first three was easy, since I have met them before.

The fae representative is a male, which surprised me. For some reason, I would assume it would be female. His hair is a pale blonde that is buzzed short. His eyes are an icey blue color that I feel may be staring straight into my soul. His ears are slightly pointed, but just as subtle as every other fae's I have met so far. He sits with an air of authority, as do every other council member. For some reason, he's the one who unnerves me the most.

Next to him is the female demon representative. Her dark hair is pulled up into a bun, and her chocolate brown eyes look at me a bit less harshly than the ice blue ones of the fae representative. She's still as intimidating, but the iceyness isn't there. Her hands are clasped neatly in front of her, and she watches me with open curiosity.

Next is the water wraith representative. She is the easiest to point out, as her eyes are dragon like slits and her hands are webbed. Her golden hair is down and cascading, adding to her allure. She resembles Kailani so much that there is no way she is not a relative in some way. I had the impression that water wraiths were only water creatures, so I'm not sure how she is on land right now. Her eyes are the softest towards me, her head tilted as she analyzes me. She was also the only one who acknowledged me, with a small dip of her chin that I barely even noticed.

At least one of them is on my side.

The other two species I have never met, but it's not hard to guess which is which. Next to the water wraith is a hulk of a man, with muscles growing on muscles. His skin is dark, his eyes darker. It's like staring into a black abyss. He's got to be the werewolf representative.

Next to him is a red headed female. Her hair is also down, though it's extremely curly. Her light skin is striking next to that of the werewolves. Her eyes are a blood red, and she is looking at me like she wouldn't mind me being her next meal. I gulped as she began to tap her nails- which are sharpened to a point- against the table.

Breathe. They aren't that scary, Rowan murmured into my mind.

I nodded as subtle as I could and took a deep breath. I can do this.

The queen clapped her hands together, and the soft murmuring that had begun again after we walked in was instantly silenced. You could hear a pin drop. "Now that our guest of honor has entered, we may begin."

At her words, the council members stood from their seats as one. It was almost eerie, the way they were so synchronized.

"We are here today for an unusual reason. A child born of both fae and demon blood has been born. Now that she has been returned to us, it is time to figure out which kingdom she belongs to," the fae representative began, his voice deep and firm.