Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen
I huffed out a long breath as Jeremy roundhouse kicked me to the mat again. How do you beat someone who is literally always a step ahead of you? He knows exactly what I will do right before I do it, so how do I get the upper hand?

I slowly got up off the mat and Jeremy circled me, getting ready for another attack. He was stopped by Mr. Sinclair calling time. That was already ten minutes?

Jeremy pulled me closer to him and clapped me on the back. "Don't stress about it little F, no one can beat me."

I plopped on the bench, feeling defeated. I did even worse today than I did the other day. He must have been holding back. I took a swig of my water as Selene walked up with a random kid I have never met before.

I guess wednesday's are evaluation days, to see how you have been doing. Everyone spars in front of the whole class, and you get a grade. If you haven't improved, you are forced to take an extra hour with just him until you do improve. God knows I will be taking a lot of those.

Thankfully, Caroline was absent today. I don't know where she is and couldn't care less. At least she wasn't here to see my embarrassment.

Selene began circling her opponent, analyzing his weaknesses. I'm sure she has sparred with him before, but he isn't her sparring partner from Monday. I guess you are supposed to not know who you will spar for the evaluation. Which is why it is so annoying that I spared with Jeremy yet again.

Selene's opponent struck first. Selene ducked just in time, sending a punch to his gut as she did so. Her opponent huffed but didn't back down, returning her with a punch of his own. It went like that for a while, both of them getting jabs in back and forth before Selene finally got him down for a few seconds, marking her win of the match.

I congratulated her once she sat down, but she responded by stealing my water bottle and taking a nice long chug of it. They were the last match of the day, and as expected, Mr. Sinclaire called me over.

"I would like to see you here at 9 am until 10 for a special one on one session. We need to get you caught up with the rest of the class."

I nodded, knowing better than to argue. Then he sent me away and announced the end of class. I met back up with Amilia, Selene, and Jeremy who each gave me sympathetic looks.

"It's not that you are bad. You just didn't grow up here, so you haven't had the training we have had. You're a natural, though, so only a few weeks of catching up should do the trick. Combat fighting must be one of your powers," Jeremy informed me, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"He's right," Cameron announced, catching up with us. "You must have a mild form of stronger combat ability. Otherwise you would not be able to keep up with Jeremy as much as you have with no training at all. Meaning with a little training, you'll be even better than him. Which is super impressive."

I shrugged, but inside I was pleased. Being praised by Cameron seems like something that wouldn't happen all that often. We walked for a while until we came upon a large open field, with no living thing in sight for miles, besides the small group of people gathered in the center.

"This is where we do magic training. We have our own little system, but you should catch up pretty quickly," Amilia informed me.

"Is there a reason we had to walk over a mile to get here," I questioned.

"They have to do this far enough away from our people, so that if some of the magic gets out of hand no one will get harmed," Selene informed me.

That's probably really smart. Though, that makes me worry about how powerful these people really are, and how likely they are to make fun of me when they realize I have no control of my powers.