Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty
Cameron looked at me expectantly, his arms crossed tightly over his chest.

I bit my lip and explained to him what had just happened. Cameron tilted his head in thought, before shaking his head slowly. "I don't think it's as bad as it's coming off. As much as I dislike the guy, he is a very powerful and loyal man. He would never do anything to harm his high up spot. I wouldn't worry too much about it."

I shifted on my feet, not convinced. He's up to something. He has to be.

"Freya, I'm serious. It's probably nothing. Freaking out about it will only make your last month here awful."

I bit my lip before slowly nodding. He's right. I don't have much time left here and I don't want to spend it worrying about something this man said on the phone one time. As suspicious as it is, it probably is nothing.

Yes, he wants his son king, but he has to know that marrying me is a real possibility. He wouldn't do anything to jeopardize his role in this kingdom knowing that his son is so close to power.

"I'm sorry for running from you. I just wanted to discover a few things before I leave here. It's always been my dream to find a hidden passage way," I admitted.

Cameron laughed and shook his head. "Why doesn't that surprise me?"

I took that as I was forgiven and grinned.

"Oh," Cameron announced, remembering something. "The reason I came to find you in the first place. The queen was looking for you."

I nodded and followed him out of the library, through the hallways and stairs until we reached my mothers chambers. I knocked once before entering, deciding waiting for her to allow me to enter the room was not needed anymore.

"I'm surprised you called for me," I stated as soon as I entered my mothers room.

The instant I said it, I regretted it. She looks worse than I could have imagined. Her eyes are sunken in, her skin pale and frail. She's starting to look the old age I'm sure she is. She looks worse for wear.

"Saxon told me you accepted his proposal. And that you don't want anyone to know until you get back from the Daemonium kingdom. A wise choice. A decision a queen would make," she informed me, one of the highest compliments I have ever received from her. One of the only, really.

I nodded. "Thank you. I'm starting to learn a thing or two about what it takes to put my kingdom first."

My mother sighed. "That was always the hardest lesson for me. I didn't realize quite how many sacrifices I would have to make for this kingdom until it was too late."

I shifted uncomfortably. I don't know if she knows that I know about her being mates with my father. I don't know if she would want to talk about it, or maybe needs to talk about it. I know if I kept something so big a secret for so long, I would want to open up about it.

I opened my mouth, then closed it. How am I supposed to bring up something like that? I can't just blurt out "I know you and my father are mates." That would probably horrify her.

"Come, sit down. And then spit out what you want to say," she informed me, her voice much stronger than her appearance.

I slowly made my way to the couch she is sitting on and sat down. "Rowan told me why you're sick." Good, that's not outright saying it but still telling her what she needs to know.

My mother nodded slowly. "I assumed he would. All the demons know that we are mates. But none of the fae do. Not even Saxon."

"Wait, really? How do you keep that a secret?"