Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten
Now it's 3 O'clock pm and I am occupying my time in the beautiful castle library. I am currently plopped in one of the very comfy chairs, surrounded by about ten different books. I was browsing and saw so many books that I was interested in. I couldn't just choose one. Sadly, each have been untouched by me since I got here a half hour ago. My brain is on override and I can't focus for the life of me.

This is just all so much to take in, to wrap my head around. Everyone jumps right into conversation of their world and their powers like it's a normal, everyday occurrence. I'm expected to act exactly as they want a princess to act like I've grown up here and know all of their customs. Everyone expects me to be this person that I am not and it is all just a mess. I've only been here a day and I already feel extremely overwhelmed.

Plus, there's the matter of the boy who already died for me. Someone gave their life the second they met me without a second thought, as if my life is above theirs. It's not. Speaking of which, I still haven't heard any plans for a funeral or even people talk about him. He died saving my life, he deserves a large funeral at the very least.

Oh god, all of this information is making my brain hurt. I leaned back in the chair and groaned.

"You okay," a deep voice questioned from behind me, causing my body to jolt up and a small scream erupt from my mouth.

I turned toward the intruder, scowling at the now laughing Cameron. Doesn't he know it's rude to sneak up on people? Apparently this world doesn't teach you basic manners.

"Are you done," I questioned, my voice coming out harsher than I intended it to.

Cameron sobered up then, his eyebrows raising. "I didn't mean to scare you, jeez. Chill," Cameron announced, throwing his hands up in the air.

I sighed. "Sorry, I know. I'm just really on edge right now."

Cameron nodded, as if in understanding, before saying, "Oh, I get it. You're on your period."

I gasped, grabbing the pillow sitting on my chair and chucking it at him. He let out a loud laugh, catching the pillow in one hand as he did so. This only caused my scowl to get bigger.

"I'm just kidding! I know, you're having a tough time transitioning. It will get easier, I promise," Cameron informed me, his laughter sobering up into a calming expression.

I sunk farther into my chair, sighing heavily. "I've only been here for about 36 hours and I already want to kill half of the population! What am I going to do?"

Cameron sighed, pulling one of the chairs closer so that he could sit in front of me. "Look, no matter how long you stay here, you will always have a problem with how things are run. That's just your personality. You not growing up here means you have an outside opinion of how things should work out and those things definitely do not coincide with how things are run here. Maybe that's a good thing. Maybe when you are queen, you will finally start making the changes that should have been made a long time ago."

I smiled half-heartedly, trying to ignore the hopeful tone in his voice. I can't be their saving grace. It just won't happen. I'm not that girl and I will never be that girl. Him getting his hopes up only makes it worse, because I know they will be crushed as fast as they appeared.

He seemed to notice my mood change, because he leaned in closer. "Don't worry about it. You just being here will begin that change."

I merely shrugged, not agreeing with him but not having the heart to shoot what he said down. He seems so hopeful. Crushing that hope just doesn't seem right.

"So, what are you reading," Cameron questioned, purposely changing the subject.

I smiled and looked down at my pile of books before I delved into my nerdiness, happy for the distraction. Despite him just asking so that he could change the subject, we ended up having a decent discussion about the books I was reading. Turns out, whenever he would have free time-which isn't often-he would hide amongst the shelves and immerse himself in the world of books for a few hours.