Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen
It was overwhelming at first. Flashes upon flashes of memories flooded my mind, and I had no idea how to cypher through them. They were just blurred colors and sounds. A baby crying, a woman screaming. I couldn't properly make out anything else.

You have to focus, think about the thing you want to see. Properly mastering it takes time, but for now just think about this very moment.

I listened to Rowan's voice, oddly far away. It was almost like an echo. I closed my eyes and forced myself to focus only on Rowan. I thought about what he just said about me, about the way he was standing before I dove into his mind. Almost instantly, the pictures began to piece together until I was seeing myself through Rowan's eyes.

It's an intense thing, seeing yourself through someone else's eyes. I have never seen myself this way before. The way he sees me, I'm almost otherworldly. My hair shines under the sunlight that creeps through the tree's. My eyes shine brighter than I have ever seen them, the grey very prominent today. My skin glows, soft and bright. Everything about me is almost angelic.

I shake my head, trying to focus, and watch myself as I do so. So I am in his head live.

"Okay, are you okay? I can feel you watching through my eyes so I'm assuming all is good, but nod or shake your head in confirmation," Rowan informed me, his tone light but shaky. He clearly doesn't like having me in his head.

A part of me feels guilty, for putting him through this and not trusting him. The sensible part of me, however, knew I needed to do this. So I nodded my head. I was surprised by how hard that one action was. I have more control over him than my own body.

"Okay good. Then let's start."

Before I could fully comprehend what he was doing, Rowan was closing the distance between us and laying a gentle hand onto my shoulder. I didn't even have time to react before something started to happen.

I didn't know how to decipher what was happening at first. All at once a black smoke was surrounding my view of everything. At first, I thought it was covering me, but then I realized it was in Rowan's head. This must be what it looks like in people's heads when they use their powers. I wonder what mine looks like.

I'm going to call your powers now. This will allow us to know what you can do.

I watched my body fill with a small glow. At first, I thought my whole body was shining. Then I realized it was only bits and pieces, and each color represented a different power. It flowed up my legs all the way to my arms. It then stopped in my fingertips. The colors were dark. What that means, I have no idea.

There were five colors. One of each is shown on a finger. Dark blue, black, grey, pink and red. I didn't have to wait long to interpret what it meant. Being inside Rowan's mind has its perks. I'm not sure if he meant for me to hear these thoughts or not, but obviously he knew that I would.

Five colors. I knew she was worth it.

I'm not sure what that means, but for right now I'll take it as a compliment. Though it makes me wonder. If it was less, what would he have done?

Dark blue. Telekinesis.

Well, we knew that already.

Red. Strength.

What does that even mean? Does everyone not have increased strength?

Black. Mind control.

Wait, really? I don't know how to feel about that yet. I have the power to seap into someone's mind and control their every thought. It makes my skin crawl, but it's also a bit of relief. If I can do it, at least that means no one will be able to do it to me. Plus, as horrible as it seems, it will probably come in handy.