Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen
Turns out, the castle has its own bowling alley. It's much smaller than any I have ever been to, with only four lanes, but what kind of home needs anything bigger? What kind of home needs one in general, really.

We decided to all just bowl against each other on one lane, which worked just fine with me. I'm absolutely terrible at bowling, and I won't feel as bad if a teammate is not counting on me. The only bad part about sucking is how competitive I am, and how hard it is for me to accept defeat.

When it was my turn, I walked up, doing my best impression of a bowler pose as I released the ball. Despite what I felt was a great toss, the ball still curved to the side and only knocked down three pins. That's okay. A spare is good too. I just have to knock the rest of them down.

I went back and waited for my ball to come back before approaching the lane again. This time, the ball slipped out of my hands before I was ready, and dove straight for the gutter.

"Fuck!"

I took a deep breath and turned back around, ignoring the sympathetic look on Amilia's face as she got up for her turn.

"You suck," Cameron snickered as I sat down.

I crossed my arms and narrowed my eyes at him. "Why don't you take my next turn and prove to me that you're any better."

Cameron laughed but shook his head. He refused to play with us. He claims that he is on duty and that he could get in trouble for playing games. I think he is just afraid to lose. Which is justified, seeing how good the other three are.

Amilia has gotten a strike pretty much every time she has gone up, and this turn was no different. The only other score she has gotten was a spare and a 9. We only have two turns left. Jeremy is just as good, with a score only five below her. Selene is a little worse, but not bad enough that it would make me feel better. She has still gotten four strikes. The highest score I have gotten was an 8. And that happened twice.

I think after this, I am never going bowling again. It hurts my pride too much.

"You're not that bad," Amilia stated as she plopped back down beside us. "We have an advantage, anyways. We come here all the time and practice."

I shrugged. It's nice that she is trying to make me feel better, but that isn't going to unhurt my pride. I wish I wasn't so damn competitive. As Jeremy went up to dominate his turn, the doors opened and Saxon walked in.

I sat up straighter, and I noticed the others do the same. He ignored everyone else, coming straight for me. He shifted uncomfortably in front of me for a few moments, as if he had no idea what to say. He ended up settling with "Hi."

"Um, hi," I trailed off, a small laugh escaping.

"I was just wondering if you wanted to learn your fae powers."

I raised my eyebrows at him. "Right now?"

Saxon nodded. Of course I want to learn, but I am in the middle of getting to know my new friends a little better. I can't expect them to allow me to rule their kingdom without really knowing who I am. I also have a feeling he might only be doing this because he wants to one up Rowan. But he's probably a busy guy, and this might be the only chance I have to learn.

Amilia ended up making the decision for me. "Of course she wants to. Right, Freya?"

Before I could even answer, she was pulling me up and pushing me in Saxon's direction. "Geez, are you trying to get rid of me," I questioned, only half joking.

"Oh quit it. Go on, Cameron will finish your game."

Cameron grunted, but didn't complain. Selene and Jeremy shrugged as if they really couldn't care less what I did. I sighed and turned to Saxon, making sure to smile in his direction.