prompt 8 - first day of kindergarten

First day of school for AJ 

°°°

"Mommy! Where's my headband!" 

The little voice of AJ ran through the apartment as both parents scurried around, trying to help their daughter get ready for her first ever day of school.

"Right here, sweetie," JD said, as he handed the plastic accessory to her.

AJ slipped her feet into her lace up boots and picked up her dark purple bookbag. It had cats on it, who AJ had named and introduced to the family at dinner last night. All 54 of them. 

"Aww, look how cute she is!" Mac said as she walked in the door with her daughter Jessica. Jessica was dressed in a green overall dress and white t-shirt. She had a lime green unicorn bag and was wearing a matching bow to her dress.

"Jessica!" AJ exclaimed as she ran to meet her friend.

"They look like grapes," JD said, cringing.

"I think they look adorable!" Veronica exclaimed in self defense.

"I don't want her to leave!" cried Troye as he ran to hug his sister, grasping her waist tightly

AJ gave her little brother a hug and a forehead kiss.

"I'll be back at 3:30," she said, looking him in his sad eyes, before hugging him one last time.

Soon, Mac was off with AJ and Jessica.

°°°

"Guess who's back!" Duke said as she walked into the apartment with AJ by her side.

Duke had been in charge of picking up the kids. Veronica could just tell every male teacher, regardless of martial or relationship status, stared at her.

"Daddy! I made a new friend!" AJ exclaimed as she ran to hug her dad.

"Really? That's great!" JD said to her as he picked her up.

"His name is Harley, and he has messy black hair and freckles and he can sing too!"

Duke smiled at her friend's daughter. She left the apartment, telling JD to tell Ronnie hi.

°°°

"How was your first day?" Veronica asked AJ that night at dinner.

"It was very!" AJ cried.

Veronica and JD burst out laughing. 

"She has to stop hanging out with her Auntie Duke!" Veronica exclaimed as she finished laughing.

AJ glared at them and took a bite out of her spaghetti.

"Aw, honey, we're sorry," JD said, seeing the glare on their face.

AJ put her hand up and showed them the finger.

"AJ!" Veronica yelled.

"What? A 5th grader named Ryan showed it to me when I ran into him in the hallway!" she defended herself.

JD and Veronica just shook their heads and told her it was wrong.

Public school was going to go great.