12. Business Trip

Click! Click! Click! 

The sound of my black heels echoed as I entered the building; my hair was all messy like a bird's nest because of the wind; my make-up was smudged because of sweat, but I couldn't care any less at that moment. Just when I made my way towards the lift while avoiding all the weird eyes that were staring at me, a very annoying and high-pitched voice came from behind me. I squeezed my eyes shut in annoyance. With a fake smile plastered on my lips I turned around hoping that I wouldn't be venting all my anger out on her.

"Mr Stock has asked for you, and said you need to go to his office right away." She was painting her nails while letting me know. It sounded more like a demand.

"Ok." What? You all should know my rule by now; if you're not polite then I'm not polite either!

I pressed the button of the lift and impatiently waited for it to arrive while tapping my feet against the floor. The doors of the lift opened revealing a very stunt Branden in there.

When I say that I was shocked, it couldn't even describe it. All I managed to squeak out was, "Hey." I wasn't expecting him to see him there, out of all places. Standing there. In front of me. The place where I work.

He wasn't any less surprised either. It was as if he had seen a ghost, like he wasn't expecting me at all.

"Hey." He knew what I was wondering so he carried on, "I had to come here regarding business." He was lying. He was scratching the back of his neck. First sign that any guy is lying. "I hate to leave like this, but I need to get going right now. I'll talk to you later." He said with a smile and then left in a speed before I could even say a word. Shrugging my shoulders, I hurriedly stepped inside the lift and pressed the floor to William's office.

Urgh! Time to face his anger.

You must be wondering how I manged to reach there, right? Well, it wasn't too hard, all I had to do was walk all the way here. Even though I was wearing heels.

When I walked out of the lift and was about to go to my office to place my bag and prepare myself to hear the rants by him, I noticed Isabelle coming out of his office. I hurriedly walked up to her.

"Isa, Is everything ok? What did he say?"

"He was screaming for you! Hurry up and go to him otherwise he's seriously going to lose his mind." She said waving her hand carelessly in distress and made her way towards her reception desk to get on with her work. Mentally face palming myself I ran to my office, unlocked my office door, threw my bag on to the couch and made a 'U' turn to go to his office. But before going, I remembered to fix my appearance otherwise I would've had to be ready to hear another one of his outbursts. I speed walked to my table, and quickly reapplied my lipstick, wiped the sweat of my face and used my fingers to fix my hair, which took longer than expected.

Speed walking towards his office I took in deep breaths to control my beating heart. Closing my eyes, I knocked on his door and stepped inside after hearing a faint 'come in' which was surprising to me because of his tone of voice. It sounded as if he wasn't angry. He was calm.

He didn't seem that pissed like I had expected him to be. With a glint of hope, I stepped in further and released the door to allow it to shut behind me. I avoided to look up.

"Miss Livingston, why are you late? You are exactly 45 minutes and 10 seconds late." He said with a stern voice with a tint of amusement attached to it. As if he was enjoying putting me in this situation. But what made me look up to him is the fact that he was being so precise in time.

10 seconds?! Seriously... What!  

Attempting to control my anger, I replied, "I am sorry, sir. But it wouldn't happen again. In fact, I'll try my best to arrive earlier than required." I didn't know why I said about arriving earlier than required but, if it saves my job and saves me from being homeless, then why not?