Chapter 21

Goodbye Kacchan.

*

Katsuki Bakugou's POV

I pulled back from Auntie Inko's embrace, "W-what do you mean you always knew?"

The mother of the boy that I loved more than anything in the world only smiled with her tear stained cheeks, "It wasn't very hard to tell you know. In the beginning, I always thought you were the mean boy that called my son Deku. But once I started to watch over you two when Mitsuki was gone, everything clicked in my head. I watched you everyday and I learned something about the way you acted every single day. I am and adult, much older than you Katsuki. After a while, you start to understand the difference between childhood sweethearts and true love. And there I was, a grown adult, who forgot all about those silly little elementary school things. That one saying? 'You know if he's mean to you, it really means he likes you' and oh boy did I see that in you."

I blushed lightly between these ugly and weak sniffles that kept pouring out of me. There was no way that I was that easy to read? I had always been the strong and tough Bakugou that no one dared to approach. Who knew the boy who would make me soft was the one who I pushed away all my life? Why didn't I just accept how he felt, how I felt, before? Her hand found its way to my cheek once more, wiping away tears that still managed to escape my eyes.

"But you were not always mean to him, so please don't blame yourself for his actions. I saw the way you put him down then pick him right back after. I saw the way that you hated seeing him sad, crying, or hurt. I saw the way you looked at him with anything but genuine hatred. You were only mean to him not because you hated him, because you loved him. I honestly could never understand the reasoning behind that, but what more could a mother ask for. There was someone out there who loved my dear Izuku in a way that overpowered any love I could give him. You are all I could ever ask for my son to have. Thank you so much." Her sniffles turned into a warm and welcoming smile.

"I-I don't understand. Ho-How come you're not angry with me? I didn't protect him. He's gone now and it's all my fault. I can't smell his warm inviting fresh cookie scent. I just want to see him, I just want to tell him how I really feel and fix all of this. I just want to hold him in my arms and explain to him that everything will be okay now that I'm here." I clasped my hands together, pressing my nails so deep into my skin that I started to draw blood.

She wobbled as she got up. Auntie Inko held out her hand for me. I unclasped my hands and took it gently into mine, giving it a light squeeze. I got up and followed her down the hallway into Deku's room. It was strange. Sure I have been to Deku's house whenever my mother and his wanted to meet up, but it had been years since I had last been in his room. Would it be the same? I watched as she pulled open the door slowly and revealed what lay behind it.

And honestly, it hasn't really changed. Maybe the sheets changed but it was the same nerdy room I remembered. The walls were covered in different types of All Might posters. His desk was lined with all types of All Might action figures, rare limited ones to ones you could find at your local grocery store. I found myself smirking at the sight of it, he's always going to be a nerd, isn't he?

Auntie Inko went to his closet and moved a bunch of his clothes out the way and pulled out a box. It was a simple plain orange box that looked like it had faded over time.

She walked back over to me and handed it to me, "I wasn't supposed to know that he had this. I used to walk into his room all the time and he would throw this box into a corner and pretend he was working on homework or something. I always pretended not to notice. It was none of my business so I never prodded at it. If he wanted me to know about it, he would've told me. If he ever finds out that I showed this to you, I'm honestly going to get a real earful from him, but I feel like this is something you should see."