Chapter 22

The Distance Between Us.

*

Katsuki Bakugou's POV

Goodbye Kacchan.

Deku, I can hear you. Where are you? Please come back.

No response.

_____________________

Every day felt outrageously slow and painful. I felt my heart crack and splinter every single time I walked into the classroom to meet the sight of that stupid fucking empty chair where he should be. It felt like years since the last time I saw that shitty yet adorably happy smile. In reality, it had only been two weeks. Where could he have disappeared to? I haven't slept because of the fact that I didn't know where he was. He could be lost, alone, or afraid. That left an unsettling feeling at the pit of my stomach. God, how I hated this feeling.

The classroom always seems so empty and incomplete but the class doesn't talk about him anymore. Even Todoroki, Iida, Uraraka, and Tsuyu all seemed to be happy. Why did it seem like I was the only one who cared? It's like they had forgotten about him completely.

I didn't want to forget him.

I didn't want to forget how bright green his eyes were or that one strand of hair that he always seemed to miss combing at the back of his head. I didn't want to forget how the left corner of his lip quivered in excitement every time he was too embarrassed to show how passionate he was about something. Or the way he used to scribble notes with that dark blue pen of his with that delicate feminine-like handwriting. I want to remember the way his skin feels on mine. The warm contact of his breath on my chest. I want to remember what he looked like reaching for my hand that one day on the swings. I want to reach for him.

But he isn't there anymore.

I sat in class quietly. The world around me just kept progressing as I just simply was stuck in the moment. I stopped hanging out with Kaminari, Kirishima, Sero, and Ashido. In all honesty, it seemed like the entire class stopped talking to me. It wasn't their fault. I just stopped talking in general. I let them drift away from me as I watched. I don't want to hurt anyone anymore. As much as I needed someone, I couldn't bring myself to talk to them.

I sighed quietly and turned my head slightly. It had become habit now. I would turn and expect to see him appear there for some reason. Of course, the seat remained untouched and soulless.

I've tried to reach out to him, calling, texting, and even emailing. It's not a surprise that I never got a response, but how my body ached for one. But what would I even say to him when he comes back?

"Bakugou."

I snapped my attention back to the board. There were a couple words scribbled here and there. The entire class looked at me. Aizawa's piercing eyes traced over me with annoyance. In the corner of my eye, I could see glances of worry, fear, and overall just sympathy. My heart stung, I hated being looked down on. I was so grateful that this was the last class and it was just about ready to end.

"Just because your mate isn't here anymore, doesn't mean you can sit and mope around. I get it, you're sad. But you have to get over it. We have things to do. You have things to learn."

"Come on Mr. Aizawa. That's a touchy subject," Hagakure said quietly to our teacher. I think she was trying to make sure I couldn't hear.

I nodded slightly and studied the board a little harder. We were learning something about mates and how alphas could trick betas and omegas into mating with them. I winced at the entire lesson. Not only did the topic of mates make my blood run cold, but could an alpha really be so horrible to do something like that? A couple of minutes passed when I felt a slight tug at the sleeve of my shirt.