five

*Brooklyn*

I wake up to someone nudging me. When I open my eyes, Zach is sitting next to me. I give him a small smile. He says something but stops mid sentence, remembering that I can't hear. 

I was born partially deaf in my right ear. My hearing was gone by he age of 3. My left ear was supposed to last me a life time. Who knew one concert could be so harmful.

Zach grabs a pen and notepad and starts writing everything he was trying to say down. He hands me the notepad.

I'm so sorry this happened. You don't deserve this. Any of this. 

I tell him about my right ear. He nods along to my story. When I finish, he grabs the notepad again and scribbles on it. 

I have a cousin who is deaf. I know quit a lot of  sign language. I could teach you if you want.

I nod and thank him for the offer. 

We can start the lessons now.

Right as I finish reading, someone bursts through the door. My mother's lips move and I strain to read her lips. She points an angry finger at Zach. I catch a few things she says.

"This is your fault! She should sue all of you!" 

"Mom!" I yell. She turns to me.

"I'm not suing anyone! The boys have changed my life in the best ways possible. Zach Herron showed be what it was like to love someone even if they don't know who you are. Jack Avery showed me that it was possible to change in a positive way. Daniel Seavey showed me what it was like to be happy all the time. Jonah Marais showed me how to be me. Corbyn Besson showed me how to laugh and Why Don't We has taught me to believe me to be me." The four boys walk in and smile at me. My face turns red as I realize what I've said. They witnessed me spilling my heart out about them.

My mother rolls her eyes and makes a comment I can't quit understand. Then, she turns and leaves the room. I groan in frustration as someone takes my hand in theirs. I look over to see Zach smiling at me. 

"I love you, Brooke." I smile at the words that fall from his lips. 

"I love you, too," I smile. His thumb rubs up and down against the skin on my hands. 

Then it hits me.

"How am I supposed to listen to music? I'll never be able to hear you sing again." The realization hits like 10 trucks going full speed.

---

This sucks. oops. Anyway hello humans!