seven

*Brooklyn*

As soon as Zach came back we started the sign language lessons. I was frustrated as he tried to explain simple things. Nothing made sense. 

I think back to 3rd grade when I used to talk to everyone in sign language. Of course, I didn't know a lot but I knew the alphabet which is what Zach was trying to teach me.

"I can't do this anymore," I groan. He uses sign language to communicate with me. I groan as I push his hands down to his lap.

"No. No more. I can't take this. My brain hurts," I groan as a tear falls down my cheek. Zach reaches over to wipe it as he whispers okay. He places a kiss to my forehead before sitting back down in the chair. My phone flashes next to me. 

Mom: How are you feeling? When are they releasing you?

I ignore the text. I'll answer her later. 

"I'm sorry this happened to you Brooke," He sighs, looking at me.

"Hey, don't be. We've been over this. It's not your fault," I tell him. A tear falls from his eyes. I swear I could feel my heart break as I reach up a wipe it like he did to me just seconds before. My hand lingers on his cheek as he looks up at me, our eyes meeting. 

I move closer to him and before I know it, my lips are on his.