| one: adventitious

BEFORE YOU READ
Instinct contains rare explicit language, the use of alcohol, mature themes, and sexual references. If you are uncomfortable with any of the categories listed, please do not continue. This story is HIGHLY unedited — seeing as it was my first fanfiction — and may stay in it's current state for however long until I decide to finish the editing process someday. So, with that said, please excuse this terribly written, cliche, and long-chaptered story. Prepare for the cringe!

⠀⠀⠀⠀

══════════════════

⠀⠀⠀⠀

CHAPTER ONE
Adventitious
⠀⠀⠀⠀

"Horrifying. Pathetic. Unbelievably pathetic. Is that everyone?" Coach Finstock yelled as the lacrosse team ran past him. Well, all except Stiles, who was practically dragging himself across the ground with only the helping hand of Scott, my brother, for support. In all lack of interest, the most I could say without stating the obvious, was that Stiles was about to go into metaphorical cardiac arrest.

As if expecting it all along, Finstock inhales deeply and answers his own question with a much needed sigh, "Yep... that's everyone."

I, who had been quite for most of the morning practice, contained a laugh and rolled my eyes instead, although smiling once I noticed Malia and Kira locking their gaze onto me, "Now that I'm actually a student here and can waste my time doing whatever I want in the morning, I'm disappointed that Stiles is still sort of the same when it comes to lacrosse. Terrible, and more amusing to watch than an actual game."

Rewarded with a laugh from Kira, she began to ask a series of questions of what it must have been like to attend past lacrosse matches during Scott's pre-werewolf stage. I was going to reply with a blunt "he and Stiles were the best bench warmers known to mankind", but found myself distracted by Malia, who was frowning at the field intently.

It took no genius to know who she was looking at, especially considering the fact that Stiles had gone on an egotistic rant about the kid only a few minutes before the suicide runs kicked in. And knowing Malia, she seethed with curiosity and frustration, so someone who was on her boyfriends bad side, was also considered to be on hers.

"What the hell is with that kid?" Kira seemed to question no one in particular, forgetting her previous wonders, and diverting her gaze to the field as well. I followed in persist, admittedly knowing where to look straight away since I had been staring at him a mere few minutes ago.

Liam Dunbar -- the athletic, attractive, and presumed to be bad tempered new kid in town -- was just one of the reasons as to why this years lacrosse team may just be the best in history. Alongside the many other Freshman prodigies who could all hold their own weight, Liam was currently doing power driven push-ups towards the middle of the field; going much faster than at least half of them, might I add.

"Maybe he's just that good." I answered unknowingly until realisation kicked in seconds later. Biting down on my lip, I shrugged as Malia shot an eyebrow up in uncertainty, her and Kira's thoughts both made clear. With everything they had gone through involving the impeccably challenging, and totally unwanted supernatural world, it was better to assume that anyone, even the guy in the back of the class, could be linked to some sort of ability.

Malia, who had flicked on her magic switch of brutal and uncontrollable honesty, growled lowly at my answer, "Or, he could be a were-anything, Jess. You never know in this town, and it wouldn't be surprising either. I mean, judging by your body language, you're assuming it too. You know better than any of us that he could be better than Scott."