| eighteen: intuition

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
Intuition
⠀⠀⠀⠀    

"And you're really okay with this?" I asked Lindy for what felt like the hundredth time as I looked over at her. My stomach was twisting like crazy due to feeling so fearful and nervous at the same time. Maybe it was because I had no idea what to expect once I got there, or it could be how I'm going against Liam's wishes; following everyone to Mexico even though he wanted me to stay put. I definitely felt guilty about that.

Lindy sat in the drivers seat, tapping her hand against the steering wheel as she head banged her head slightly to the music. The orange in her hair was practically glowing like a flame due to the sunlight pouring in through the windows, and she looked model like as she puckered her lipstick coated lips, "Well, that depends. Would I have driven you out to Mexico already if I hadn't of been sure about it in the first place?"

I propped my arm up against the arm rest on the side of the door and leaned in towards it, unable to hide a smile, "Good point."

The music playing was somewhat unfitting for the situation we were in; since we were in the middle of a desert whilst the artist was singing about rain. Somehow, it managed to calm me as the car ride lingered on and on though. Two girls - two werewolves more like - were both in a Porshe driving to hell knows where during the night of the full moon. We hadn't had a clue of where we really were going - since we were relying on whatever little thing I could remember about the location of the church - and there was nothing but open road in front and behind us. Even if we were going the wrong way, we were miles away from the nearest town, so the only way was forwards. Fortunately, Lindy had stocked up on fuel over at the closest town of which I knew the Calavera's hung out around. But unfortunately for us, we had to lie about our supposed age after the salesperson refused to let a couple of fifteen and sixteen year old girls buy it off of him. So now, my name is apparently Jessica Dunbar; age eighteen, whilst Lindy is known as Lindy Talbott; age nineteen. Damn, that girl is whipped.

"Jess," Lindy said after turning down the music by the knob on the radio, "Can I ask you something?"

I stared at her naturally, looking for a certain expression I knew to find. She looked very antsy, almost as if she was worried about something. It was strange to see her suddenly like this. I smiled the best I could - more for myself - as I focused back onto the long road ahead, "You just did."

She rolled her eyes and scoffed somewhat politely, "You know what I mean."
Okay, I had to admit that I was out of jokes. Even though I tried lessening the tension, Lindy would always find a way to bring it back to a dead end. I didn't mind though, because I wasn't really doing much help for myself either, "Well, sure you can."

Lindy huffed, and I could hear her tap away at the steering wheel again, "You wanna know the real reason I'm taking you to them?"

Honestly, I didn't. I wasn't sure I wanted to know because I knew it had to be for a hard-to-believe reason. Maybe she wanted to drag me away for hours on end to talk about boys some more, or maybe it was just out of the common decency she had in her heart. I couldn't really tell by the way her expression now turned serious. I was beginning to wonder whether or not he had bipolar or something.

After a short while of silence between the two of us, I nodded uncertainly, "Okay."

Again, there was silence. This time lasting much longer as Lindy seemed to think things through with herself. It wasn't until she began speaking that I realised she was probably eager to unleash countless slurs of advice, "I'm taking you because I know you want to help, and I sort of figured that the others would tell you to stay behind anyway."

What's that suppose to mean? my inner selfishness was begging to know, but I pushed the thought away as I felt a genuine smile find its way to me, "I guess that makes sense. But you didn't have to take me if you didn't want to."