| three: luminosity

CHAPTER THREE
Luminosity
⠀⠀⠀⠀

The thing I hated most about being a freshman, was that we weren't eligible to drive.

Kira agreed to pick Liam and I up, which was pretty embarrassing if you do ask me.
She pulled up to the driveway of the address Liam had given me after school. Liam was already waiting outside, his leg twitching uncontrollably and his eyes squinting to see us through the dark.

He sat in the back seat with me, and I caught a glance of Kira smiling through the rear view mirror. Embarrassing.

The drive was silent for the next ten minutes that had followed. Liam and I exchanged a few awkward glances and smiles, making me feel tingles each time.

We were only five minutes away from Lydia's, when a curious yet twitching Liam spoke. "Where's the party?"

Kira cleared her throat, tapping her finger against the steering wheel to the beat of the music. "It's Lydia Martin's lake house. Actually, it's her grandmother's lake house. But she's dead, so it's okay. I mean, it's not okay that she's dead. Unless she was in pain." She spoke fast, causing me to become confused.

Liam nodded his head, staring out the window. His body tensed up, his leg still twitching and his forehead covered in sweat.

"Liam? Are you okay?" I asked, sitting up straighter.

His head turned to face me, nodding his head quickly as his eyes met mine. "Yeah. Yeah, yeah I'm okay." He stuttered.

'That's a lie.' I said in my mind, thinking about the full moon tonight. It was certainly getting to his head. The nonstop shaking, the sweat and his nervousness. If only he knew what was really happening.

"Can you turn the music down?" Liam asked with an agitated tone, his hands reaching up to his ears to cover them.

Bewilderment struck me, as I wondered what he was talking about. The music was down to the lowest volume, and even with my new super hearing abilities, it wasn't that loud at all.

"You want me to turn the music up?" Kira asked, her hand on the knob as she twisted it so that the music was only a few levels louder than before.

Grabbing Liam's hand with mine, I watched as he seemed to calm down. He pulled out his phone, and tapped away on it while I exchanged a look with Kira again, her head nodding as we pulled up the long driveway where the supposed 'party' was going to be held.

The three of us exited the car, the light of the full moon covered by clouds making the pathway to the house more difficult to see.

"Where is everyone?" Liam wondered, probably noticing that the whole place was completely empty from cars and teenagers.

"They're here. It's a small party." Kira hopped her way over to the door as quick as he could.

"You said everyone was coming." Liam looked at me, confused.

"They are." Kira and I chanted, exchanging looks at each other at how suspicious we sounded.

A small laugh escaped from Kira, as she grabbed Liam's hand and began pacing quickly to the door. "They're late. And we're early. So we better hurry. Yay! Party."

Running up in front of them, I opened the door before they got the chance, and rushed in. Scott, Stiles, Malia and Lydia were already waiting for us. They surrounded a coffee table that was piled high with the chains and shackles Malia used every full moon.

"Sorry." Kira muttered, the door slamming from behind me.

Turning to see Liam, I saw his face light up with a scowl as he looked around the room at the familiar people he didn't trust.