| thirteen: endearment

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
Endearment
⠀⠀⠀⠀    

"Who's Meredith?" I asked for the fifth time ever since Scott failed to listen to me. The two of us stood in the kitchen while he told me about what happened to Stiles and Lydia at Eichen House earlier tonight. Liam was currently in the living room, and he didn't seem all to focused on being apart of the conversation.

"Meredith is a banshee just like Lydia. She's the woman who 'hung' herself, the one to help decode half of the dead pool. And she may just be the one to have helped create it." Scott answered with a tilt of his head.

"What does- but if she hung herself how is she alive? And more importantly, how is she of all people The Benefactor?"

"Her death was staged, I've explained this to you. I mean, I'm just as confused as you are."

I groaned and rested against the counter top with my back leaning against it. I was still drenched in dried up gasoline, and if it wasn't for my curious mind I would've been in the shower a whole hour ago. Liam and Scott had already beat me to that luxury though, whilst I sorted through everything in the stupid little head of mine.

I was about to ask another round of questions until Scott's phone began it's chime. He answered it in a flash and his face seemed to falter as he spoke back into the phone with a simple "Kira."

I focused in on the conversation Kira was having with him on her end, but everything was muffled by the undeniable rain I could hear. Scott shook his head at me before turning away, so I took it as an indication to leave. Once again, I found myself pondering over the many things that have happened in the past few weeks.

I had to drag myself over to the living room and once I got there, I could see Liam sitting on the sofa with his head in his hands. The closer I got, the more his breathing seemed to quicken.

"Liam?" I said his name as more of a question, as if I was expecting him to fall apart. I hated seeing him so worried.

Even after his silence, I continued to walk over to him until I was directly in front of where he sat. There was a perfectly empty spot beside him on the sofa, but all I did was kneel down onto the ground so that my height was level with his. Slowly, he began lifting his head out of his hands and I could see the shimmering of his blue eyes. I did my best to smile, but he continued to stare at me blankly.

"You being bothered is making me bothered and since your bothered it's making me feel worse about being bothered." My words came pouring out which caused confusion to appear on Liam's face. I almost expected him to ignore me, but when I saw the corners of his mouth curve into a smile, I felt good about myself.

"You are one hell of a girl." He laughed lightly.

"Yeah, yeah I get it. You're lucky to have me, aren't you?" I sassed whilst I flipped my hair over my shoulder jokingly.

"You have no idea." His voice was deep and his eyebrow raised, which sent a chill down my spine. I wasn't sure whether to slap him or kiss him, but either way seemed like a good idea. I could've and I would've done both, but I was more focused on the reason for him being so damn out of it. I can bet on my ass that it's something to do with these past few weeks. Then again, those are the obvious reasons.

"Liam, you're not doing so good, are you?" Well duh, Jess. What'd you expect?

"You just noticed?" Liam sat backward into the sofa and all I could manage was a sigh.

"What is it now? The dead pool, the bonfire, the Berserkers, me? You're seriously scaring me Liam, and I don't know whether or not to be afraid with you, or hold you in my arms as if you were the girl of this relationship so I can tell you that everything's going to be okay."