| twelve: inebriate

CHAPTER TWELVE
Inebriate
⠀⠀⠀⠀    

"Shit you're fucking- jesus!" I shouted after tripping up on the first step. If it wasn't for my quick reflexes, I could have face planted. Then again, I still felt stupid after running inside only to fall over in a matter of seconds. I ignored the pain in my knees and continued to run up the stairs in hopes of reaching my room. Having stayed at Liam's during the night - unintentionally - I was overly late for school. Scott's dirt bike was still parked outside, and I wasn't sure whether or not to feel glad or worried. Hopefully he'll give me a ride to school, and maybe he won't get mom to ground me since I didn't come home.

I slowed down once I was a few feet away from Scott's room, and I began tiptoeing so I wouldn't alarm him of my presence. After making it to his door, I peaked in only to see him kneeling in front of his bed; multiple wads of cash lined up carefully on the mattress.

"What are you doing?" I asked before I had any chance of filtering it out. I was curious and worried about the money, and even more confused about why Scott looked so concerned for it.

My brother snapped his head around to look at me, his eyes widening and his eyebrows raising. He turned back around and starting stuffing the cash into a red duffle bag; the same one I've seen Garrett wear during morning lacrosse practises. "I'm just checking... if there's any of it missing."

I leaned against the door frame understandably and watched as Scott slid the duffle bag full of thousands underneath his bed. After letting out a sigh, he stood up and grabbed his own bag before walking past me.

"Don't go near that bag, got it?" He said before reaching past me to close the door.

"Okay." I nodded again and crossed my arms. It was obvious he didn't want anyone stealing it, but it still worried me about what he was going to do with it in the first place. Scott having told me to not go by it made me feel as though he didn't trust me to not touch it. Although mom is struggling with money issues, I'd never use the cash in the bag to help, considering it was earned by killing people. Next year i'll be sure to get a job so mom won't have to struggle anymore.

"Good." Scott breathed as he turned around and started walking down the hallway as if nothing had happened.

"So what, you're not going to tell on me?" I questioned aloud which caused Scott to stop in his tracks. He didn't face me though, he just kept his head down and stared blankly at the ground. Of course, I was talking about my skipping out last night so I could go to Liam's. It's odd for Scott not to care as much about it.

"No. But I do have to ask you where you went."

"I stayed at Liam's." I bit down on my nails out of nervous habit and thought about the dead pool that had been printed last night. I still shivered with fright due to Liam being worth eighteen million dollars. Now, he's the third most wanted supernatural, which scares the absolute hell out of me.

"I had a feeling you were. Get dressed, I'll drive you to school." Scott smiled. He started down the stairs before I had any chance of opening my mouth to tell him about the dead pool. I'd do it on the way to school, but I still hate the feeling of having a face full of wind.

I puffed out a large amount of air and shuffled into my room to prepare for the long day ahead of me. Hopefully today will be the day my friends and I can relax and maybe enjoy that damn annual bonfire tonight.

Right, scratch that. After arriving at school, I had seen Mason and was about to go over to him until my loving brother pulled me aside and told me what happened last night while I was at Liam's.