Kittens Everywhere

|No Ships, really|

"Elizabeth? Do we still have milk?" Gelda called from the kitchen, putting the kettle on.

"Yes, but not much." Elizabeth replied from her bedroom. She was busy putting some clothes away. "Elaine," Elizabeth gasped as Elaine walked into the bedroom with some more laundry. "It's five to six, and your work starts in five minutes."

"What?!?!?!?!" Elaine shrieked, dropping the laundry. Elaine bolted into her bedroom and grabbed her work bag.

"Get milk while you're out!" Gelda yelled from the kitchen.

"Okay!" Elaine agreed, and left the house muttering under her breath. "I thought it was only five!"

Elizabeth, Gelda and Elaine were 26 and they shared a large house together. It was a gift from Elizabeth's Father. Together, the three of them managed pretty well. Elaine made the gardens look the best in town, Gelda made amazing food, and Elizabeth was good at doing the housework.

Elizabeth had a job at an animal shelter, Elaine was a worker at a nursing home, and Gelda was a restaurant owner, it was called the Boar Hat. The three of them mostly paid Elizabeth's father off for the house, until he stopped accepting the money. Elaine won extra money by competing in gardening competitions and also by selling fruit and vegetables at the market.

Gelda was sitting down on the couch sipping tea and reading a book when Elizabeth grabbed the book out of Gelda's hands. She put in a bookmark and set it down.

"Elizabeth! What was that for?" Gelda complained.

"We have our show tonight, remember? It starts in ten minutes!" Elizabeth facepalmed. Usually, Gelda was the one reminding her of things.

"Oh. Right, let me just grab my jacket." Gelda jumped up and grabbed her jacket, slipped it on and walked to the front door. "let's go!"

They headed down to the football pitch. Gelda and Elizabeth were going to see a show. Some sort of curiosity and animal show. Elizabeth supposed it would have lots of birds doing tricks, and extreme contortionists, that sort of thing.

She didn't really like that sort of show, especially since she didn't know anything about the conditions, but Gelda wanted to go. Elaine was going to go, but she was working. So Elizabeth agreed to go with her.

Inside the football pitch, there was a large tent, kind of like a typical circus. There were heavily guarded caravans behind it. Elizabeth thought the barbed wire fences were threatening, but continued inside the tent.

"Thanks for coming with me." Gelda thanked Elizabeth as they slipped into their front row seats. "I have a confession."

"What is it?" Elizabeth frowned.

"Well, I didn't really tell the whole story when I said I got the tickets from Merlin." Gelda looked down.

"Gelda, you better not have done anything illegal!" Elizabeth hissed.

"I didn't!" Gelda defended. "The truth is, Merlin got information saying that the people who run this show perform certain... Experiments. That's why it's so heavily guarded. She wanted me to find out what was going on."

Elizabeth sighed as the music for the show started to play and the actors did their introductions. "You need to stop getting involved with Merlin's work! I told you, her job is dangerous!"

"Sorry, but please help me with this!" Gelda begged.

"... Fine." Elizabeth gave in, smiling as a brightly coloured parrot landed on Elizabeth's arm.