Tom Riddle

~Requested by xxangstqueenxx~

Your eyes close tightly shut before opening widely. The sheet of paper in front of you bursts into flames before quickly turning to ash. You fight the urge to grin and look back to the rest of the class. To your upmost pleasure most have their eyes glazed over in awe and amazement. You were glad, it had taken you weeks to master incendio non-verbally.

"Excellent demonstration, Miss L/N," the professor smiles, "Alright class, practice on your own for the rest of our time here today. I'll be around to assist if needed. And don't forget, essays on the history and use of the summoning charm are due next week."

They walk over to you, "I swear, with as much potential I see in you, you're wasting your time here, Y/N. You're still set on working at your parent's restaurant?"

You shrug, "It's a family business, if I didn't take it over then there'd be no one to do it. Wouldn't be right."

It was true. As the only child in your family, once your parents retired you'd have to be the one to run the place lest it shut down for good. It was an incredibly non-magical choice of life, but you'd been raised with it. Leaving behind your muggle-born heritage didn't sit well with you. It was a large part of who you were, why would you abandon it?

The professor laughs, "I suppose that's one way of seeing it."

"How do you see it?" You ask, cleaning up the remains from your performance with a sweep of your hand.

"The wizarding community at large is losing one powerful witch once she graduates," They answer.

"I'll always be willing to come and visit now and then. Especially to a place such as this," You motion to the castle around you.

Hogwarts was in fact a gorgeous place, anyone could see that just from one look at it. Sure it had its tricks and secrets, but it had grown on you in your six years of residing in it. You could only hope your final two years did not rush past you as fast as the others before had. It was your one goal to make it through the rest of your schooling without any large happenings, whether that would be possible or not you weren't sure.

"We'll all be looking forward to it," They walk off then, leaving you to work on your essay and other projects.

You settle in, more than ready to get as much as you can done so that you'll be free for the weekend. You planned to do nothing but stay in and sleep, and if you could do that sooner rather than later then you would be more than pleased. Just getting back from break you would believe that you wouldn't be this tired already, but starting the year was always difficult. Even at a place as wonderfully amazing as Hogwarts.

"Pardon, but it's only you sitting here correct?"

"That would be right, you're more than welcome to join if you so choose," You don't bother to look up, rather trying to finish the sentence you were writing.

"I do in fact," the sound of a chair being pulled out squeaks beside you, "You seem more dedicated then everyone else. Much quieter too."

You hum, "I just like to get things done when I have the time to do them. I'd say the same of you but you have continued to converse up until this moment."

"You're tricky aren't you? Can't let a fellow even try and start something," With any other tone it would sound hurt or offended, here however the laughter in his voice was obvious.

"I don't believe that's the purpose of the class," Whoever this guy was, you weren't going to go easy on him. If only he would just be quiet for one moment then you could finish this blasted paper.