King George

~Requested By: FuckItBlameCanada~

"They're closing in on the left flank!"

"Then send reinforcements!" You bark back, "Decline foot soldiers on the far right, canons in their place to scare the scarlets back and secure the area. They'd be stupid to continue to try and maintain there."

"Yes sir, right away," the messenger runs off.

You're tempted to sit, but another round of close gunfire refrains you from doing so. You should be far enough back from the fighting, surveying on a hill that overlooks the battlefield. You have an 'office' set up there, if you could call it that.

It's more of just a table and a couple chairs out in the open while the main camp sits behind you. You did have a tent, but it was set up on the back side. Many argued that it was foolish of you to place yourself so close to the front lines, but you countered that it was your job to be there. If the army fell you fell with it. Not that it would, you were good at what you did.

'It's the closest I'll ever get to the action anyhow. Unless I want to risk being found out.'

Truth was, you were a wolf in sheep's clothing. No, you weren't a spy, you'd never been a fan of the monarchy and never would be. In all actuality, you were a woman. Which was just as bad a being a spy in some people's eyes. You were too far in to back down now though.

You had started out as a solider, then worked your way to more tactical positions. One because it was safer for your identity, two, you were better at strategy then most anyone serving in the Continental Army. Your father was a military man before he moved here to the colonies, he had many books for you to choose from on the subject of war.

When the war broke out here you knew you couldn't sit idly by and do nothing. You wanted to help, even if your parents insisted otherwise. They were loyal to the crown and wanted nothing more than to go back to England and 'away from the heathens and traitors here on this rotten mass of land'.

So you let them. Waited until the night of your planned departure, cut your hair, stole clothes from one of the cooks, and went to sign up for the army. You didn't leave a note, you knew it would only lead them on your trail. Besides, they'd probably end their own lives if they found out their 'little girl' was bonafide rebel. Much less one with a now valuable role in the scheme of things.

"Colonel! Message from the Commander-in-chief," another messenger rushes towards you, albeit a bit more put together than the field one.

"What's Washington want now?" You don't look up from your map of the battlefield.

You figured you just might have this one. You had surrounded the British forces on their way down from Canada, planning on meeting some of their own here upstate. They had put up a decent fight at first, but now it was just starting to get sad.

When you heard no response from the messenger you looked up, "Well, out with it then," you waved your hand, "I don't have time to stand around waiting on the likes of you."

"Apologies, sir," he coughs,"Your presence has been requested at the main Middlebrook encampment."

"The Middlebrook encampment... Why that's all the way down in New Jersey! For whatever reason?"

"Confidential."

He hands you the letter and you snatch it, glancing over it quickly.

'Colonel,

We've been given an opportunity to perhaps achieve independence at a faster rate then we originally anticipated. Please come to Middlebrook for a debriefing and war council meeting by October 9th at the latest. Another officer will arrive within the day to take your place.