[ 9 ]

T H E W O L F ' S L A M B

C H A P T E R N I N E

-

I H A D A scheduled meeting at ten o' clock this morning with the man that had successfully managed to captivate my thoughts. The meeting was set up through our assistants and I was truly glad for that since I knew I had to prepare myself to face him again.

I feared that without calming my nerves before stalking onto the battlefield, I'd melt like a bar of butter under his dark and intense stare. Applying a thin layer of lip stick, I rubbed my lips together and ran a hand through my hair, fixing anything that could be improved.

I'd never been so nervous before, not even when I'd gone for my very first interview to a job that I'd dreamt off from the day I discovered it through thorough research. Maybe it was the way he made me feel inside, or the way he didn't have to say a word to have my knees shaking-I knew how I felt around his presence and I liked it.

My fingers grasped around the black handle of my bag as I lifted it off from the chair next to my desk and closed the door behind me with a low click. Nodding at Andrew as I left, I shifted my eyes to remain ahead, controlling my breathing and making sure my posture was upright.

Thankful that I'd chosen a long coat on this chilly day, I carefully glided down the four concrete steps and nodded at the doorman who politely smiled and opened the car door for me, allowing me to slip in. The driver met my eyes through the mirror above and awaited for me to utter my desired location.

"Wolfe Industries, please." The driver nodded, pulling the gear into drive and then the roaring of the engine soared through the air and we were off, joining into the lanes of cars that impatiently jumped on each other's bumpers, eager to escape the endless lines.

Flicking through my emails to pass the time, I blocked out the sounds of the car horns, used to the persistent sounds due to living in a city that never slept. Finally, the driver pulled up onto the curb and rounded the car, opening the door for me. I smiled and thanked him, eyeing my watch and letting him know when to come back.

Once he'd left, I turned my gaze to brush over the dark building that loomed over me tauntingly. It was a sight for soar eyes truly yet it oozed power, for a company that thrived victoriously was what it was. Pushing myself to enter, a warm breeze of air blew threw my curls. I walked towards the reception and let them know I was here for a ten o' clock meeting with Mr. Wolfe.

Before I was calm, but on entering the steel doors of the elevator and feeling the lift levitate, I felt all kinds of nerves return to me, filling my insides like water did a cup. Brushing the lint from my maroon figure hugging dress, I watched in anticipation as the steel doors had opened.

Ahead was the doors to his office and to my right was his personal assistant. I smiled at her and spoke. "Good Morning, I'm here to see-..." with a knowing grin, she nodded and leaned in. "I know. He's been in a good mood all morning." With a wink she gestured for me to go in. The young woman went back to her work, but not without sending me one final amused glance.

Lost for words, I felt the heat creep up to my cheeks as I knocked on the door and waited for confirmation to enter. Hearing the sound of his rich voice ripple through the air sent tiny chills down my spine. "Come in."

On entering, I caught sight of his back that faced the door. His hands were snuggly tucked into his trouser pockets as his gaze remained out the window, overlooking the buzz of New York like a spectator of a football match. I could see his eyes in the reflection of the clear glass and I couldn't help but admire them as if they were precious diamonds decorating a stunning necklace.

"Felix." I spoke out, waiting for him to turn around to face me and just as I suspected, he looked over his shoulder, his eyes meeting mine. "Evangeline." Within a second his expression had changed. From complete and utter seriousness, his brows softened and the corners of his lips turned up.

I smiled, unable to say anything else. Looking down to spot my black heels, I became nervous and stupidly fumbled for a topic to discuss. "So-the contract." Felix's grin widened as his brown orbs sparked with amusement. "Ah, yes. You want to discuss. . .the contract." Nodding eagerly, I took a few steps towards the desk and pulled out the chair, plopping down onto it as I took out the necessary files.

Watching him through my thick lashes, he rounded the desk and took the seat next to me, his body now so close to my my own that I could feel the heat radiate off of him. "So I was thinking that maybe if you offered something that your competitors have been after for a while, then they'd stop with their attempts, like-..."

"I want to take you out on a date." My eyes widened at his sudden words. "I-..." Placing his arm behind me, he leaned in and took hold of my chin gently. "Can I?" He asked and I stared at his lips with a small smile that forced itself onto my lips after I gave up on trying to conceal it. "Yes." I laughed softly, watching as his wolf like grin widened. Pushing his lips forward to meet my own, he kissed me gently.

It was different from the last time, it was so much more gentle and sweet and I didn't know what I loved more. Both still caused these feelings to brew within as tingles erupted on the surface of my skin. Pulling away, he grinned and leaned in closer. "Now we can get back to the contract." His deep and husky voice mouthed, with a teasingly cheeky tone.

Shaking my head as I beamed, I pulled the papers closed and leaned into him too. I voiced my opinions and he nodded, his slightly more serious tone present as he did so which I didn't mind at all. I, myself was in a professional zone as I advised Felix on what to do and what not to do and surprisingly, he took my suggestions with an open mind.

Once the evening was over, we both stood up. He picked up my coat and helped me put it on. Kissing my cheek from behind as he did so. Standing before me, I looked up to him and smiled. Feeling his short stubble beneath the palm of my hand as I touched his cheek, I kissed him one last time. "About that date." He told me, the huskiness in his voice intensifying as his lips hovered over my own. "I'll pick you up. Friday, be ready for seven." Nodding as I pulled back, feeling the heat rise to my cheeks, I tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear and turned, leaving his office with a beaming grin that could put the sun to shame.

Leaving the building, I tightened my black coat around me with one hand and from over my shoulder, I looked up at Felix's office window and watched as he stared down at me fiery eyes and a grin that caused my heart to flutter.

Forcing myself to look away, I realised the unmissable spark before me and with a foolish grin, I laughed to myself in content, my head in another place as I felt my heart fill with warmth. I'd never felt something like this before, but I'd seen it with my own two eyes. Somehow, I felt the very thing I'd seen before between my parents when they met eyes or smiled and laughed at jokes that no one else deemed as funny.

I felt strongly for Felix. Especially that wolfish grin of his that he'd only ever wear in my presence. But one thing was for sure, it was that he wore it proudly. I liked that, probably just as much as I liked him...

----