[ 16 ]

T H E W O L F ' S L A M B

C H A P T E R S I X T E E N

-

B R U S H I N G T H E T H I C K
strands of my brown hair, I nervously glanced up at the clock with shifty eyes and chewed on my lips as I watched the hands inch closer to 6pm. Tonight, I'd face my brother and father, alone. My mother would be there too of course, it was, after all, a family dinner.

But somehow, I'd anticipated the exact conversation in which I'm sure would occur. I believe it would consist of a further enquiry of Felix and I. It didn't help when Felix had still not come clean. I could tell the truth was hovering on the tip of his tongue, but every time he'd open his mouth, it would close just as fast.

Clasping a diamond earring onto my ear and then my left, I stood up, pushing me velvet chair back, the legs scraped again the wooden ground. I could barely hear the noise over my nerves.

Grabbing my keys from the counter, I sucked in a breath and trudged across the hall towards the front door, fumbling with handle before I finally pulled it open and exited the apartment, before I knew it, I was sliding into the freshly cleaned leather seats of my car and with nerves hands grasping onto the steering wheel, I was off.

The roads were surprisingly dead once I'd exited the main bustling streets of New York. Few cars raced down the roads and switching into the lane to my side, I was taking a brisk right, driving up the driveway to my parents beautiful home.

The lights were all on, but that was a given. I parked next to Colton's mate black car and shut the door behind me. The pebbles beneath my heeled boots crunched, echoing in the black night.

Nervously hovering of the golden button, my finger pushed against the doorbell. I stood back, sucking in a nervous breath of the chilly air and pulled my jacket tighter around me to escape the bitter cold.

The door was pulled open to reveal my mother. She looked at me with worried eyed before flashing me a small but genuine smile. Her eyes glimmered with pity. She nodded, pulling me into a quick hug, enclosing me within her warm arms and whispered encouraging words into my hair. "Don't be nervous, sweetheart. I'm on your side, don't worry." It didn't matter how many times she told me to calm my nerves, nothing could help me.

I kissed her cheek and weakly nodded, following her elegant form towards the dining room. The atmosphere of the house was silent. Daunting. It wasn't till I'd stepped into the dining when I realised how alone I truly was.

My father and brother sat one side of the table. My mother sat at the head and I was left across from them. Alone. I didn't bother to smile at them for their cold and merciless looks was enough to render me silent.

A silver pin could be dropped and heard over the overbearing silence. It was scarily uncomfortable and I could only hope that this evening would end fast. Pulling the chair from under me, I rested against the leather cushion and shifted my gaze between the two men.

Colton stared at me with a blank look and my father could only watch me under cold and calculating eyes. Neither seemed impressed in the slightest and it caused my heart to hurt. My chest tightened and I could feel my strength begin to fade. They hadn't ever been so disappointed in me before and I'd dreaded this day for so long, now that it was here, I'd underestimated how horrible I would be made to feel.