[ 14 ]

T H E W O L F ' S L A M B

C H A P T E R F O U R T E E N

-

I K N E W I T was a lie the moment he'd uttered the forced words from his lips. His eyes didn't shine with assurance, they shone with guilt. I wanted to be angry at him, to scream and shout and tell him that I knew.

But he didn't tell me for a reason and I was going to wait for that when he was ready. Aware that I needed time away from Felix and my family, I texted Sydney to come round. I hadn't filled her in on any of the drama and I felt that now would be the best time.

Sipping on a glass of wine, my feet were tucked under my bottom, one arm propped up onto the ledge of the couch as I closed my eyes and waited for her arrival. I flicked through the tv channels, searching for something so watch, when suddenly, the doorbell rung.

Knowing it was Sydney, I jumped up to my feet and padded across the room, my wine glass still held within my gentle grasps. Pulling the mahogany door back, my closest friend was unveiled. Her perfect platinum blond hair was neatly straightened down her back and her striking blue eyes shone brightly.

She seemed happier than I'd ever seen her before. I liked that look on her, it made her beautiful appearance all the more attractive. "Hey!" I laughed, pulling her into a warm hug. Sighing deeply, I realised that I needed this.

She pulled back and frowned. "Why so glum?" She asked, following my through into the living room and perching onto the couch beside me. Propping her feet up like I had, she snatched my wine glass and tipped it back, downing the remaining contents.

Rolling my eyes at her antics, I got up and went for another glass, bringing the bottle of wine back with me. Pouring the contents into the glass, I sighed and leaned back. "Oh, Sydney. So much has happened." I shook my head and prepared myself to tell her everything.

Placing an encouraging hand on my knee, I smiled at her with appreciation. "That little spark between my client, Mr Wolfe has turned into so much more. I have no idea what's going on! We've got this connection, him and I."

"We-..." Sipping some more wine to push myself to tell the full truth, I cleared my throat and shot Sydney an awkward look, feeling my cheeks tinge with an embarrassed blush. "No!" She gasped as her jaw slacked and her eyes lit up.

"This must be serious then!" I nodded and grinned. She went on to drill more questions into me, asking anything and everything. She was more interesting in some details than others and I couldn't help but squeak the answers out. She truly was one of a kind and she had such a big mouth.

"Anyways..." I returned to the topic of discussion and sighed, pulling the sleeves of my oversized jumper down with a firm tug. "Colton can't know."

"He'd kill Felix and Felix-he wouldn't back down from a fight." Scared at the image of the two burly men fighting, I shuddered. "Colton is such an asshole sometimes! I can't understand why he won't just but out of my life." Sydney eyes shifted to the side as she paused, pulling the wine glass to rest on her knees as she licked her lips. "He's just looking out for you." I rose a brow at her words and scoffed.

"No, he's controlling me! For gods sake, you're the one who always used to rant to me about that very fact. If I remember correctly, you also took any chance in having me rebel against him! What's gotten into you." Sydney turned around to face the television that softly echoed in the background.

Watching my blonde best friend under narrowed eyes, I moved my head to make sure our eyes met. "What's the matter?" She but her lip and her lips parted, almost as if she was about to reveal something she was keeping hidden.

"Nothing, I think I maybe just drank too much wine." Smiling again, I laughed and nodded. "Yeah, I feel the same." Yawning as exhaustion hit, I checked the time and groaned. "Ugh, I've got to be up early tomorrow." I moaned, rising from the couch and placing the wine glass on the coffee table.

"You can stay if you'd like." I offered to Sydney the guest bedroom, but looking up from her phone, she shook her head and nodded, hugging me before she made her way to the door. "It's alright, I've got to...get home, anyways." She smiled and before she left she turned to me and spoke.

"Don't be so harsh on Colt, he's only doing what he thinks is best for you." Nodding at her odd advice, she disappeared behind the mahogany door, leaving me standing still, confusion brewing within.

I didn't know what had gotten into her, but she was hiding something, for sure. I just didn't have the energy to enquire about it. When she was ready, I knew she'd tell me. But, like I'd already had been, I was to be left in the shadows and honestly, I despised the feeling with intensely.

----