Chapter 7

Maddie's POV

Today, I'm with Caleb at Bella's house watching Caroline. Caleb came with me so he could spend some time with his daughter. Caroline starts crying a little, and I assume she's hungry.

"I'll go get her bottle," Caleb says.

"Okay," I say.

After he brings it to me, I feed her.

Caleb smiles watching me, "I love watching you with her."

"I love her like my own," I smile up at him.

"I know you do," he smiles again before going back to the kitchen.

Caroline finished her bottle, and after burping her, she smiles at me and I smile back, "Good, baby," I rub her little back, "Mommy loves you," I accidentally say and my eyes widen.

"What do you just say?" I hear, as the front door closes.

I look up, "Uh.. uh, Bella, I didn't-"

"Did you just tell her that you're her 'mommy'?" She asks.

"It just slipped, Bella, I didn't mean anything by it, I just.."

"I already gave you Caleb! What else do you want? My daughter?" She snaps, coming over and taking Caroline from me.

"What's going on?" Caleb asks, coming back into the living room.

"She told our daughter that SHE was her mother!" Bella yells.

"I didn't mean it! It slipped out!" I yell back at her.

"Okay, okay," Caleb comes over and takes Caroline from Bella, "Bella, it was really just a mistake, I'm sure. Maddie isn't trying to take Caroline from you."

"Why would those thoughts even go through her head?" Bella asks.

"Okay, stop fighting. Please, just calmly, CALMLY, talk through this. We're all trying to get along, remember? Talk this out, I'm taking Caroline out," Caleb states.

After he leaves Bella crosses her arms, "I'm not going to let you take everything from me."

"Bella! How many times do I have to tell you? I'm not trying to take her from you. It was a mistake," I say.

"Whatever. I gotta back to work," she says, picking up a folder from the table, "I just had to come back and get this. We'll talk about this later," she mumbles.

She goes back out the door and I go and stand in the doorway. I see her get frustrated when her car won't start. She opens the car door and looks at her car.

"Get in," I say, walking over to my car, "I'll drive you."

I know I shouldn't after the way she just spoke to me, but at least I'm still trying to get along with her. I get in the driver's seat and she sighs before getting in the passenger seat.

"I just really didn't appreciate hearing what you said," she scoffs, "I'll text Caleb real fast and tell him you're taking me to work."

"I am terribly sorry," I say pulling out of the driveway, "I promise I will not let it happen again."

She looks out the window while we go down the road, "I'm sorry, Maddie. I know I'm overreacting," she sighs and shakes her head.

"I probably would be upset, too," I admit.

"I really shouldn't have let it get so far. Really, I'm sorry," she looks over at me.

"I know you have a lot going on at work, Bella. Don't worry about-" I start, but I don't get to finish.

I hear a loud crash and suddenly everything goes black.