Chapter 24

Maddie's POV

It's been about a month since Bella's death. Caroline has been doing a little better, but she still has her moments. She loves school so far and has even made a few friends. The police are still trying to find out who murdered Bella, but there's been no luck. They took Jace in for questioning, but they found out that he didn't do it, because he had proof that he was out of town that week. I still have no idea who else would have done this, but suddenly I have a thought.

No, there's no way they did it. I'm just thinking too much.

Caleb comes back with Caroline after picking her up from school, and I'm taken back by what she says to me when she comes in.

"I'm home, mommy!"

I look at her for a moment, "Hi, sweetie."

"Oh! I'm sorry," she apologizes.

"It's okay," I smile at her.

"Do you want to ask Maddie what you talked to me about?" Caleb asks Caroline.

She looks down and shrugs nervously, "I'm nervous to."

"Don't be nervous! I'm sure I know what her answer will be."

"What is it, sweetie?" I ask.

She sits beside Caleb on the couch, and I go over and sit beside of her.

"I don't want you to think I'm weird," she says.

I giggle, "I would never think that, precious."

"Okay.." she raises her eyebrows and smiles at the floor in front of her. She is so cute.

"Go ahead," Caleb smiles at her.

She smiles up at me, "Can I call you mommy?"

I smile widely at her, "of course you can, baby."

She hugs me and I hug back before she speaks again, "I know that you are not my real mommy, but daddy said you are going to take care of me like a mommy."

"I sure will," I rub her head.

"What is Allison doing?" She asks.

"I think she's upstairs in her room. She must've not heard you come in," I tell her.

She goes upstairs to find her sister, and I move closer to Caleb.

"Wow," I smile at him.

"You don't mind Caroline calling you mommy, right?" He asks.

"Of course not," I say, "I just wasn't expecting it this fast."

"I know," he says.

"But we will make sure that she remembers Bella. We won't let her forget about her. Ever."

He smiles, "exactly."

"I really don't want you to go tomorrow," I sigh.

"I'll miss you guys," he says.

"We'll miss you," I pout.

"It's only a week," he reminds me.

"Yeah, I know."

"I'll be back before you know it."

But before I know it, it's the next day, Saturday morning, and the girls and I are saying goodbye to Caleb before he leaves.

"When is daddy coming home?" Allison asks when we go back inside.

"He'll only be gone for a week," I tell her.