Chapter 13

(A/N: I have some explaining to do... I had the next 6-7 chapters wrote and they were all deleted somehow. Life hasn't been real nice to me lately, so I haven't really had any motivation to rewrite them. So I am very sorry for the delay. The twice daily updates should be back soon. <3)

Maddie's POV

Caleb is at the studio, and apparently won't be home until around eight or nine o'clock, but that's not far away. It's been a pretty long week. Caleb and I went down to his parents' house for Christmas. Next week, Caleb has to go on a two week tour, so I'll be a little lonely. However, Caleb asked Catie to stay at our place while he's gone, because he doesn't want me to be alone- no matter how many times I told him I would be fine by myself.

Today is New Years Eve, and since I don't feel like going anywhere, Gabby, Cade, and Catie are coming here. Bella is, too.. she's bringing Caroline, but Caroline will be spending the night at our house. She is growing so fast.

I hear the doorbell and I sigh. I don't even feel like getting off the couch. I go over to the door and open it. Catie gives me a warm smile, but it quickly fades when she sees the look on my face.

"You okay?" She asks.

"Yeah, just my back is killing me," I tell her.

"Aww," she pouts.

"It's okay," I give a small smile, "come in."

"Oh wow, I'm first," she states, "I'm never first!"

I laugh, "Oh, I know."

"Where's the others?" She asks, sitting down in a chair.

I return to the couch, "Caleb will be home in a little bit, he's at the studio. Gabby and Cade-" I'm cut off when the doorbell rings, "Ugh."

"I'll get it," Catie offers.

She goes over and opens the door to Gabby and Cade.

"Who's ready to party!" Gabby says.

"Not me," I close my eyes.

"Awww, Maddie," she laughs.

"I don't feel like doing anything," I giggle.

A few minutes later, the door opens and Caleb comes in. He smiles at me before sitting with me on the couch.

He puts an arm around me and kisses my head, "I missed you."

"I missed you," I smile up at him.

"How was your day?" He asks.

"It was okay," I lay my head on his chest.

"Just okay?"

"My back has been killing me," I sigh.

"I'm sorry," he says, sadly.

"It's okay," I smile, "it's all worth it."

A while later, the doorbell rings again. Caleb gets up and answers it to Bella and Caroline. Bella walks into the living room with Caroline on her hip, and Gabby scoffs. I give her a look and she rolls her eyes at Bella.

Bella awkwardly sits down on the floor with Caroline. Her eyes going back and forth from Gabby to Caroline. I give Gabby another look and she sits leans back into Cade in the chair she is sharing with him, and crosses her arms before giving her attention to the TV.

I hear Cade whisper to Gabby, "Let's not start anything, okay?"

"It's taking everything in me," she says, softly.

Bella looks up at Gabby for a moment, so I know she heard her.

I speak up, "Bella! Have you seen the room I did for Caroline?"

She looks up at me, "No, but I'd love to see it," she smiles, "also, reminds me of this," she points at the pink gift bag.

"Come on," I say, getting up from the couch.

She puts Caroline on her hip again and grabs the gift bag. She follows me up the stairs and I open the door to Caroline's room. I flip the light on and Bella gasps.

"Maddie, you did all of this?" She asks.

"I mean, Caleb painted, but I did everything else," I smile.

"This is really amazing," she says, then looks down at Caroline, "this is your other room! Don't you like it?" She asks in a baby voice. Caroline grins and we smile at her. Bella looks up, "Oh, here," she smiles.

I take the gift bag from her and open it. I pull out a pair of little pink overalls and I smile widely, "Oh my gosh, Bella," I giggle.

"I had to," she laughs.

"These are so cute. I love them, thank you."

"Of course," she smiles, "And I just wanted to let you know that I still have all of Caroline's old clothes. She's outgrown them and I'm happy to give them to you if you'd like them."

"That's really sweet of you," I smile.

"I think I'm gonna go ahead and put Caroline to bed," she says.

I look at Caroline and see her little eyes closing, "Yeah, of course. I'll go downstairs."

I go back and sit with Caleb again on the couch. A moment later, Bella comes down and sits beside of me. Gabby glares at Bella before looking back at the TV.

"Is there something you'd like to say to me?" Bella snaps.

Gabby's attention goes back to Bella, "Oh, there's plenty I'd like to say to you."

"Okay, Gabby," Cade says calmly.

"You don't want to get me started," Gabby grits.

"I'm gonna go," Bella stands up.

"Bella, you don't have to-" I start.

"It's fine, Maddie," she says, "I don't feel comfortable here."

"Okay," I say softly.

"See y'all tomorrow," she says before leaving.

"Oh," Catie says.

"I'm sorry, guys. I just can't stand her," Gabby says.

"I'm gonna go check on Caroline," Caleb says.

"Okay, make sure the baby monitor is on," I tell him.

"Okay," he smiles.

I reach over and make sure that the receiver on the coffee table is on. Caleb comes back a moment later and places his arm back around me. I'm almost asleep when the countdown starts on the TV.

"10! 9! 8!" Catie cheers.

And finally, it's officially the new year. Caleb lifts my head and kisses me passionately. We pull away and I look over at Gabby and Cade who are kissing. I then look over at Catie as she looks at all of us.

"Man! I love fifth wheeling!" She says, sarcastically and I laugh at her.

"Happy New Year, baby," Caleb whispers to me.

"Happy New Year," I repeat, "Wow, it's already 2024."

"I know, it's crazy," he laughs, "I can't wait for this next year with you."