Chapter 18

Alexander's POV

-a week later-

How could I do this? How could I just let them leave without me? I wanted to take a break with my family, it was the only thing I wanted to do with them. But somehow I let my work get in front of them.

I sat at my desk writing by the candlelight, I haven't slept in a week and I was weak. I was forcing myself to stay awake to continue writing. I just wanted to take a break, but I kept going. As I wrote I realized how quiet it was. I didn't hear (Y/N) calling me for dinner, I didn't hear the kids running down the hall, and I didn't hear Philip or Angie play the piano. It was to quiet for me. I finally put my pen down and I sat back in my chair, I missed my wife.

I was broken out of my thoughts by a knock at the door. I walked out of my office and opened the front door to see a woman in a tight, low cut, red dress. She looked worried and like she had been crying.

"Hello miss, how can I help you?"

She looked down and started to quietly talk.

"I know you are a man of honor and I'm so sorry to bother you at home, but I don't know where to go. And I came here all alone."

I stepped outside and I closed the door behind me.

"Are you okay? What happened Miss, uh..."

"Maria Reynolds."

I looked at her and I could sense the sadness and fear coming from her.

"What happened Miss Reynolds?"

She pushed her hair away from her eye to reveal a black eye that she had been hiding.

"My husband is doing me wrong. He's beating me, cheating on me, and mistreating me. He's suddenly up and gone. I don't have the means to go on."

I grabbed her by the shoulders and she looked up into my eyes.

"Hey, don't think like that. How about I give you a loan and I'll walk you home to make sure nothing bad happens to you."

She smiled and linked arms with me. "You're too kind, sir."

I smiled back at her and I gave her thirty bucks. She took the money and she held it in her hands. We continued to walk about a block until she stopped in front of a house.

"This one's mine sir."

I turned and looked back at her and she was already opening her front door.

"Well, I should head back home."

Her face turned red and next thing I knew she led me to her bed.

"Stay?"

I was confused and I didn't know what to say... "Hey..."

She smiled and bit her lip, "Hey..."

I pushed myself away from her and I held my head in my hands. What was I doing, I'm married! I have children! I began to pray for the lord to show me how to say no to this. I wanted to say no to this, but I didn't know how to.

I looked back at her and she laid there looking completely helpless, and god her body was screaming 'hell yes'!

I turned back around and thought about leaving. I needed to leave, I couldn't betray (Y/N) like this. I had my hand on the doorknob when I felt her hands around my waist. I turned around to get away from her but instead, she pressed her lips against mine.

I told myself to say no, but I couldn't help it. I couldn't do it! I gave in and I kissed her back. The moment got heated and now I was apart of an affair.