Chapter 24

-1801-

I was fixing Eliza Holly her snack and she started to pull on my dress.

"Mommy! Mommy!"

I looked down at my daughter and I smiled, "Yes baby girl?"

She pointed towards the front of the house, "Mail!"

I picked her up and I sat her on my hip and walked to get the mail from the mailbox. Eliza Holly was growing fast as a toddler. I still can't believe I gave into Alexander's charm and had another child. But it was good to finally have another baby daughter. Angie really likes the fact that she has a baby sister as well.

I opened the door and Eliza Holly reached into the mailbox and she pulled out the mail and handed it to me. I shut the door behind me and I made my way into the living room. Eliza Holly and I sat down on the couch and I opened the letter that was delivered to me.

Dearest Daughter,

As you know Peggy had been getting better after her treatments. Although, something had happened and now she has fallen deathly ill again. She requests that you are here because she is feeling weaker every day and she wants her sisters by her side. I fear that the worst may happen to her. Please, as soon as you get this letter, come as soon as you can.

Signed, your father.

I dropped the letter and I picked up Eliza Holly as fast as I could. I ran to Alexander's office and I burst through the door. He sprung up from his seat and looked at me with worried eyes.

"Alexander watch Eliza Holly. I have to leave right away."

He took Eliza from my arms and he looked at me again.

"What's wrong. Please don't leave me to worry about you."

I started to walk out and he followed me.

"It's Peggy. She may be going today."

He stopped and gasped. I, on the other hand, left as soon as I could. I got into an empty carriage and made my way back to my old home as soon as I could. When the carriage stopped I jumped out and ran to the door.

I noticed it was unlocked so I made my way inside. Everyone was in the living room crying. Angelica looked at me and she ran to me and embraced me.

"She wants to see you (Y/N). We've said our goodbyes and now it's time to say yours."

This couldn't be happening right now. She couldn't die today. I felt the hot tears form in my eyes but I kept them from falling. I quickly ran away from Angelica's embrace and I ran to Peggy's room. I opened her door and she weakly smiled as she saw me.

Her skin was the palest it's ever been. She was so skinny it looked like she hadn't eaten in ages. Her hair was pulled up into a ponytail and she still managed to look like nothing was wrong.

She tried to sit up but I ran to her side and made her lay back down. I took her hand and I gently squeezed it while letting the tears finally fall.

"Peggy what happened? You were doing so well. You were fighting this sickness and you were getting better."

Her voice was weak but she still managed to talk. "I don't know. I remember fainting and feeling worse than what I have ever felt. I guess fate had other plans for me. Maybe it wasn't meant for me to get better."

I looked at her and she had small tears coming from her eyes.

"Peggy don't talk like that. You're going to get through this, I swear."