Chapter 21

-August 1797-

The children and I were walking around the city looking for things to buy at the market. I was holding the new baby William in my arms while the children helped shop for different things. As we were walking I heard people whispering and holding a pamphlet. I wonder what it was about and why it involved us.

We kept walking and I purchased some fruit from one of the shops in the market. The lady looked at me for a short period of time and she had a sympathetic look in her eyes.

"You look familiar, do I know you?"

I shook my head, "No not that I know of. Although you may know my husband, Alexander Hamilton."

Her eyes were now full of pity, "Oh, you poor thing. I'm so sorry about what happened."

I was extremely confused, what exactly happened?

"Um if you don't mind me asking, what exactly did happen?"

"You mean you haven't heard? Well, I would advise getting the newest pamphlet. Your husband wrote it."

She leaned forward so she could whisper in my ear, "And I would send the children home. I don't think you want them to be around when you read it."

I backed away from her and I started to worry. I looked at the kids and they were getting stared at by everyone in town. Philip turned to me with a worried look.

"Mom why is everyone staring at us?"

"I'm not sure Philip. Just take everyone home and make sure that everyone is safe. I am trusting you with William so please be careful."

He took William from my arms and he looked at me with a confident look.

"I'll make sure that we get home safe. But what about you?"

I placed my hand on his cheek. "I'll be home soon. I just have to find out why this is happening."

I watched as my children quickly walked home to avoid the crowds of people in the streets. I turned my head back to the lady at the market and questioned her.

"Where can I get one of those pamphlets?"

She reached behind her shelf and she pulled one of the pamphlets out and handed it to me. I looked at the title going across the page, The Reynolds Pamphlet. I thanked her and I quickly walked to the park to sit and read what my husband wrote.

Once I was at the park I got lots of stares. I felt very uncomfortable, but I didn't care. I needed to read this. So I opened the pamphlet to the very first few pages and I already felt like I was going to throw up.

The charge against me is a connection with one James Reynolds! For purposes of improper speculation. My real crime is an amorous connection with his wife for a considerable time with his knowing consent. I had frequent meetings with her, most of them at my own house. Mrs. Hamilton with our children being absent on a visit to her father.

That lying son of a bitch! I was only a few pages in and I didn't want to finish the rest of it. He cheated, he had an affair. He had all of this time to come clean but he didn't. He slept with her in our bed! I felt like I was going to explode. I tried to stand up but I was so dizzy that I fell forward to my knees.

I sat there and I let tears fall from my eyes. I then felt someone sit next to me. I looked up next to me and it was a girl with dark hair and a tight, low cut red dress. She looked at me with a worried look. For some reason I felt like I had seen her before.

"Are you okay Mrs. Hamilton?"

She helped me up from my spot and she held onto my shoulders to make sure I didn't fall again.