PROLOGUE

𝟢𝟢 · 𝘴𝘰𝘱𝘩𝘰𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘳

· · ·

· · ·

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING OUTSIDE MY HOUSE?" JOSH SANDERSON HISSED ANGRILY AT THE GIRL OUTSIDE HIS WINDOW.

She looked down at the empty shot glasses hands, mumbling, "Where did these come from?"

"Are you-" he shook his head. "Are you seriously drunk right now? Jesus, it's three in the morning! And it's a school night!"

It was a wild night for both of them- she was busy getting hammered at a house party just a block or two down from his house and he was finishing up a thrilling suspense novel that might just end on a cliffhanger.

But he had been so rudely interrupted by a loud crack! caused by a pebble thrown at the window. He'd yanked down his earbuds and looked up to focus on the girl waving her hands and stumbling over her feet. He pulled up the window (after examining it for any cracks) and glared at her.

And there she was: Althea Sybil Aquino-Calderon, or Thea as most who knew her called her at school.

It was a strange relationship they had- they just couldn't mesh well with each other, even as children. She lived close-by and their parents were good friends, which was probably why they wanted their children to get along.

Back when they were little, one house in the neighborhood would host a potluck and the rest of the families would arrive, bringing their own food. The Sandersons had their own meals (Josh would proudly claim he made the mac & cheese) and the Calderons would bring the adobo everyone loved. Occasionally the Covey family came over and brought both ribs and tteok-bokki to the potluck, but that was before Eve Song-Covey passed. From then on, the neighborhood morale and effort for the potlucks slowly fizzled out.

During those times, it was all about Josh and the Song-Covey sisters. They rode their bikes and hung out with each other and spent time eating melting popsicles under the sweltering sun. Thea found her own group- the ones that were trying to build their alcohol tolerance, the cool kids people tried to be part of. That was where she belonged.

They never talked much to each other, not since the old potluck days. So why was she hanging outside his window, throwing pebbles to get his attention?

"Hey!" she cried out. "Psst!"

"Would you please shut up? People are trying to sleep!" he said angrily.

"Then why's your light on, dummy?" she retorted, at least trying to whisper-shout to match his volume.

"Because I'm... not sleeping..."