ELEVEN

11 · 𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘺 𝘧𝘢𝘷𝘰𝘳

· · ·

· · ·

IT WAS THE WEEKEND BEFORE THE LAST FEW DAYS OF SCHOOL IN DECEMBER.

The weather was colder, the parties more common as the days grew closer to winter break. Of course, Thea and Ethan were definitely going.

Normally, Lilian and Thea would go together, but since their sort-of fight, neither of them spoke to each other. No calls, texts, messages of cute cats, nothing. But luckily, since it was barely a Friday when they fought, she hadn't heard any rumors about her being spread.

Thea hurried over to Ethan's car when it was late at night, scanning everywhere to make sure she wasn't seen by anyone in the neighborhood or in her house. It was exciting, the adrenaline pumping in her veins while she snuck out like this.

In the car, Ethan had one hand on the steering wheel and the other gripping Thea's arm. She had a confused look displayed, waiting for Ethan to explain.

"I think there's something you're not telling me," Ethan said monotonously, with a very small hint of humor in his eyes.

"What do you mean? You're literally the first person I told about what went down between Lilian and me," scoffed Thea.

"Yeah, but that's not what I'm talking about." Ethan stopped at the red light and gave her an I'm-not-stupid look, raising his eyebrows and her suspicion. "Sanderson has asked me three times in the last week and a half if you were okay."

Her breath hitched in her throat. "Sorry?"

"Yeah." Ethan stepped on the gas but continued, "Did something happen between you two?"

"Nothing happened. We're just friends."

"Right... If he was your friend he'd try to ask you directly. Something's up."

Well, Ethan was right, and he was bound to find out eventually. But that wasn't what she was dwelling over- she felt that same nervousness in her stomach now as she did when she realized she had feelings for Josh. "It's complicated."

Ethan smiled smugly. "Is there more than just 'complicated?'"

"There's nothing else other than the fact I've got serious feelings for him and I'll never be able to express it to him without meaning to face rejection. Because he could have literally any other girl at school and they'd be better than me."

"Excuse me? You're the best person I know." Ethan smacked her head.

She responded by pinching his cheek. "Anyway, every girl in school is better in some way, shape, or form. Well, shape, probably not. But in attitude and book-smarts? Yeah, you know Liza Booker?"