Ch. 1

5 O'clock A.M.

Khalid wakes up to the sound of his annoying alarm clock. He stops it, and sits up. He wipes the sleep out his eyes for a few seconds. He was definitely not looking forward to Mondays. He'd always dreaded those days, but he has to get through them.

Well on the bright side, I get my favorite teacher today. He thought to himself.

Mrs. Ross was his favorite teacher. She would always start the class off with words of encouragement. That would brighten his day.

He gets up and head to his closet for his outfit of the day.

When he gets done, he comes out the bathroom and went to eat quick breakfast. He grabbed a bowl, and a box of cinnamon toast crunch, and fixed him a bowl. He sits down and eat. He sees his mother coming in with her nurse uniform. She was getting ready for work.

"Alright honey, I'm heading to work." She tells him.

"Alright ma, love you." He said, hugging and kissing his mother.

"Love you too son, have a great day at school."

"I'll try."

She smiles, and waved him off. She leaves. He continues eating his cereal. He lives in a suburban home with his mom. He's the only child in the household. His father is in the navy, so he's barely home.

Once he got ready for school, he went outside. He had on a sweater, since it was a little chilly this morning. He walks over to the bus stop. He sees Jaden and Amandla, his friends. He walks over to them

"Hey guys." He said, sitting next to them.

"Khalid, what's good my boy?" Jaden said.

He had his hand out for Khalid to slap. He did so. They did their secret handshake, making Amandla laugh. He looks over to her.

"Well hey Amandla."

"Hey Khalid." She says, smiling.

"Yo, I honestly don't wanna go to school today." Khalid said, fake coughing.

It was obvious to them he was faking.

"Oh dude you'll be a'ight." Jade said bluntly.

"Yes, we have Mrs. Ross today." Amandla says, smiling.

"Only thing to look forward to." Khalid agrees.

They all laughed. It died down when a boy came through. It was Jacob. He would always bother Khalid and his friends. They frowned.

"Well well well, if it isn't Khalid and the stooges." He laughs.

Other children that was around laughed as well. Khalid rolled his eyes.

"Jacob, if you don't get yo ass back." Jaden blurted out.

"Do something about it then." Jacob said, stepping up to Jaden.

Jaden was a little taller than him, so he isn't scared of him. Jacob backed up with his arms out in offense. He knows Jaden would step on him after they fought one time.

"Alright man, y'all win."

At that moment, the bus finally showed up. Everyone got up to get on the bus. It was kind of full after they got on, but they was the final stop, so it was perfect. Khalid sat at the front of the bus. Jaden and Amandla sat across from him. The bus began to move. Khalid took out his phone and put his headphones in, to listen to music.

They finally made it to the school. They got off the bus, heading to whatever they do before school starts. Khalid and his friends went to the library. They sat at a table.