Chapter 12

Christian didn't know why he'd even taken the time to bother Valerie at work. It wasn't like him to care what anyone thought. He'd heard April last words when he'd talked to her on the phone replaying like a record on the phone. He was a sad deadbeat. Forgetting the fact she pushed him away. Maybe he shouldn't have left, he should have tried to work it for Riley. He wanted to think that even if Riley's mother and him couldn't get along he he still would be able to see his daughter. April wanted all or nothing. So he was stuck with nothing.

She's shown him a little mercy and listened to Riley say 'dada' on the phone. That was probably her way to guilt him into coming back, getting back with her, but he had taken all he could take. He wanted to be near Riley and was saving up to move back to Texas with what ever he didn't send for his daughter. He didn't know where the rumors came from. He didn't want to think it was anyone close. That was why he'd tried to keep a low profile. Then again there was the women he'd bring home. That was thrown at him, and it was his only escape from the pain, of being with out Riley. The women were far from his victims.

He crossed the bridge that told him he was outside the borders of Vincentville. Once upon a time he own this town. He was prepared to come back a hero, a prodigal son, or something.

He stared into the lake many times and thought about where he'd be after high school, but he never saw this. The only person that said two kind words to him was Melanie. 'Shaggs' girl'.

Seeing Brody reminded him of that stupid bet. Guilt flushed over him, and he was actually considering going through with it. He'd considered having Melanie not because he'd loved her, or because she'd even had his interest. Not that she wasn't pretty. Even as a brace-faced drama club nerd, guys noticed, but Janet was his girl. Then the hole grew deeper. He was going to cheat on Janet and ruin his relationship with his little brother for a stupid bet and here this girl was that he'd considered taking advantage of him actually showing him kindness. Making him laugh.

He headed back home under the the heavy burden of disappointment, he would try to sleep it off, although he doubted he would.

Coming into the street of his dad's house. He'd noticed a police car in his brother's drive way. He wondered if he and Rachael was okay. Then he remembered Jeff was an officer and a friend of his. He stopped in front of the Davison house and he'd noticed Dee near the mailbox. He pulled off his helmet. That was when he noticed her unmistakable grimace. He curled his lip too. "Tell Valerie, I stopped by."

She scoffed. "What ever!"

He was going to add a few choice words but he decided to take the high road. He didn't know if Dee Davison hated all men or just him, and frankly he didn't care. She was no different from the rest of the judgmental town.

As Mr. Abe dropped Valerie off at home, she had to admit, a part of her hoped the girls had prepared dinner. Then again she just saw them burning down her kitchen. Although she was excited to tell them about the winter festival she Mr. Abe was taking everyone to.

Her mailbox was empty so she ran in the house, after waving at Mr. Abe. "I'm home." She annonced noticing everyone in the living room. She just shook her head. She wondered if she needed to take the week off to make sure everyone did something other than watched TV all day.

She went into the dining area and noticed the mail. Her heart fell as she noticed the red envelope sitting on top of the pile, opened. Her face burned but she felt violated. Anger bubbled in her. She snatched it and went into the living room.

"Who opened my mail?" She looked from Melanie, Mike, and Dee. She knew if Cam didn't do it before she didn't now. It was the house guests.

Mikes eyes were wide.

Dee's eyes went to Melanie.

"Melanie?"

"What?" She said, "Dee thought it was a Christmas card, she was going to put it over the fire place." She stood up.

"Can I open my own mail please."

Dee and Melanie followed her into the kitchen.

"So how long have you had a secret admirer."

Val's face burned. "That's none of your business."

"Val, that's creepy you need to go to the police." Dee chimed in.

"I think it's sweet."

"You would." Dee countered.

"Look, either way. It's my mail, and you need to respect my privacy."

Dee rolled her eyes. "Not like you did." She grumbled.

"Dee!" She growled.

"Don't you want to know who he is?" Melanie asked.

"It's still none of your business." Val said walking into the kitchen in tho the refrigerator.

"Dee and I have got some suspects."

Valerie looked at Melanie curiously. "Suspects. Mel, this isn't a murder mystery." She slid the envelope on top of the fridge.

"It's better. Come on you know you want to know. Don't you want know who we think it is?"

"No." Valerie said as she yanked out the pork chops that had been thawing.

"First I was like, the mailman." She said, "But that was way to obvious."

Valerie just rolled her eyes trying to ignore.

"Then I was like, the trash guy." She said, "But today isn't even collection day."

Valerie zoned out until she blurted.

"Christian."

"Why the hell would Christian be sending me love letters, Mel?"

Her eyes lit up. "So there has been more than more letter."

Val huffed hating that she gave her more ammunition to meddle in her love life.

"I mean, he did come by while I was checking the mail. He told me to tell you he stopped by."

Valerie thought. "He stopped by the shop today."

Her two sisters looked at her with matching shocked expressions.

"Just to say that he didn't violate Mel." She shook her head cradling her temples. "This is just to much."

"It could be worse." Melanie laughed.

"What you're not jealous?" Dee smirked at Mel.

Melanie rolled her eyes. "Did you read that letter. I didn't know he was so deep. I think it's sweet."

"You just think it's something to write about."

"So." She shrugged.

She put a hand over her face. "This is too much."

"Why not talk to him." Melanie said.

"Because I'm not looking for a relationship." She snapped, "Christian can't even be a father to his own kids."

Melanie smiled. "So you've thought about it?"

"No." Valerie snapped, "I haven't."

"You have to admit. It's romantic." Melanie said with a dreamy gaze.

"Look I have to make dinner, just go." She pushed Dee and Melanie out of the kitchen she'd have to confront Christian. She had to think of a way to confront Christian. It was strange, when he was a mystery she thought it was romantic, but with Christian, it felt just wrong. She didn't want to shut him down, or have it mess up her relationship with Abe, or the Davisons' relationship with the Goodwins all together, but this had to be dealt with delicately and quickly.

She considered going to Abe about it, but she didn't want to embarrass Christian. She would deal with this herself, and just hope for the best.