Chapter 13

Brushing his towel against the shiny surface of the bar, Christian prepared for a slow Monday. The same old drunk guys. Women throwing themselves at him, not so discreetly. Every so often someone would get drunk enough to mention his football days. He was numb to it by now. He just couldn't wait to save enough to get out of Vincentville. Maybe even open his own bar somewhere. It wasn't that he hated the work, every so often he would get an out of towner that didn't know much about about his past and he'd actually engage in conversation about something worth talking about.

The night was pretty dull, at least until she walked in. At first it was just nice to see a friendly face, but she didn't look like she was there to see how he was doing. He had just finished pouring a beer from the tap, when she'd approached the bar at the far corner away from people. She pushed a strand of hair behind her ear and her lips thinned. All he could think was that she'd heard another rumor, and came to clear it up. Dee came to mind. She hated him enough to lie about him.

He hated the feeling that he was in trouble. Val had those no non-sense looks. That made a guy not want to see her on her bad side. Truthfully, all of the Davison sisters had that look. The guys in town knew you crossed a Davison sister, you crossed all of them, and heaven help the man that pissed all those women off at the same time.

He smiled as charmingly as he could brushing his hand behind his neck. "Evening Val, what brings you out?"

Her eyes fell and looked up into his again. "Well, I'd like to talk to you about..." She licked her lips, "About your...um...interest in me."

His lip twitched and his eyes fell. He was going to tell he wasn't interested nicely, but she spoke.

"I think you are a nice person, but I have a lot going on..." She pressed her chest with her pedicured fingertips gently, "All though I am flattered, you're interested." She pulled out a piece of paper and an envelope onto the bar table, "This needs to stop."

Christian's eyebrows shot up. He looked at her and at the paper. He gave it a closer look and his heart sank. He snatched it in his hand and looked at it. He grit his teeth pressing it to his face reading the desperate lines of some guy secretly worshiping Val. He sighed slipping it in his back pocket. "I'm sorry Val." He said thinking on his feet, "I guess it wasn't meant to be."

"I mean, I hope we can still be friends."

He smiled. "Sure. Absolutely. No harm done."

She let out a breath. "Good. Christian, I'm sure you're find someone that likes you, the way you like me."

"If only." He chuckled nervously, "Thank you, though."

"Well, I'll see you around." She said.

He nodded.

"And this will be our little secret."

He nodded. He hoped so. The last thing he needed was it getting around that he was sleeping with Melanie, and trying to go after Valerie. He held a smile that hurt his face until she finally left and them brushed his hand over his face. He needed a drink.

When his shift was over he couldn't get home fast enough. He knew his dad would be up in an hour or so when he went for his run. He parked his bike, rushed in the house and flew up stairs banging on the door.

His noted the disheveled hair and the sleep in his eyes, but he didn't care.

"What? Is somebody dying?" He said.

He bit down on his bottom lip hard. "No, Valerie stopped by the bar last night."

His eyes widened. "Really?" Christian sensed frustration in his Dad's voice. As if he thought he'd taken her to bed too.