Chapter 27

No one was picking up their phones, Abe was tempted to go over to Valerie's for dinner, but he still remembered what Issac said about giving his heart some breathing room. Even Jake wasn't answering her his door. He'd made his way down stair, and into the living room. He'd made himself comfortable on the couch next to Garth. He still loved him. He was truly man's best friend. He scratched him on the head as the two watched reruns.

He'd heard the front door open and the voice of his son talking to someone.

"Just give him his space duchess. It's a lot to take all at once."

Curiosity got the better of him as he stood up and entered the kitchen to find Christian and Melanie. Suddenly he knew why his oldest hadn't been picking up his phone. He crossed his arms.

Melanie's eyes lit up when she saw him, almost infectiously warming his heart, so his eyes darted toward Christian.

"What?"

He shot him another stern look hoping for an explanation hoping it wasn't what he thought.

"I was just hanging out with Christian today." Melanie walked over and hugged him, "Don't worry, he was a gentlemen...for the most part." He still worried what the other part of the most part was.

"I'm just happy you're okay, sweetheart." He cradled her face noticing the puffy redness. His heart tightened, "You are okay?"

She nodded with a small smile. "Just something that happened. I'm fine."

It was clear she didn't want to talk about it so he didn't press it. "You know you can come to me, Melanie."

She nodded. "I do," and she looked at him, "And you can come to me too, Mr. Abe. Seriously."

His eyes narrowed and he looked up at Christian. Christian shrugged.

She placed a hand on his shoulder. "Mr. Abe, if there's anything you want to tell me about, I promise you I won't judge. I mean, we're practically family."

He looked at Christian more suspiciously. "Okay what is she talking about."

"Mr. Abe." She shook her head, "I think it's beautiful. I mean, I was just thinking the other day how romance like that is dead." She took his hands in hers. Now she was really scaring him.

He blew out a breath, "Did he tell you?"

She wrapped her arms around him, "In his defense he put up on hell of a tickle fight." She pulled away with a wink.

Abe just laughed looking up at Christian and back at Melanie. "Tickle fight, huh? My sweet Melanie, I swear it's like haven't changed."

She smiled and her eyelashes fell to her fluffy cheeks. "I don't know about that. But I am a sucker for a modern day romance."

He scratched the back of his neck, "I don't know about that." He said, "Some how I'm not sure if would even hit it off if she even knew the truth."

"You don't know that Mr. Abe." Her eyes sparkled.

"Well she's not exactly ogling over me."

She pursed her lips together, "That you've noticed."

He cocked his head as his stomach flipped. "So you've noticed her?"

She shrugged, "Not exactly, but Mr. Abe. You are hot. You never heard the ladies in this town talk about you?" She smiled, "I mean clearly you have good genes."

He shoved his hands in his pockets with a boyish shrug. He had known he attractive sons, the girls flocking to his door while Christian was in high school, and he'd noticed the mothers at Jake's school gawking at Issac, and the daughters gawking at Jake. He had always thought that the best parts of his son's came from Live. Starting with her blue eyes.