Chapter 25

Melanie didn't know what to expect when Christian said someplace warm. To be honest, she would have gone anywhere. With Christian or anyone, just just wasn't ready to go home right away. Even the empty bar was a nice hide out for a few more hours.

Christian emerged from the back with two mugs. It was certainly an eye-feast and an the smell wasn't too bad either. She had admired him from afar but so long but being up close, and getting her hot chocolate, made her see a new side of him.

"When you said something hot, I got my hopes up." Melanie giggled. All of these dirty jokes with Christian had become he new favorite game with Christian. It made her nervous that she would have to deliver, he'd noticed the way he'd looked at her near the lake. It make her heart race thinking about it. Not that it was something she'd ever considered, nor had she considered cheating of Mike, no matter how much of a selfish and possessive jerk he was.

He laughed setting the mugs on the table and sliding in the stool next to hers. "Aw. Duchess. Is there no pleasing you today?" He smiled, "Haven't we had fun?"

"I didn't even get any marshmallows." She poked her lip out playfully.

"Mel?" His tone was soft and but more sobering than anything.

Her eyes caught his. The look in his eyes was serious, she swallowed nervously, dreading what he was about to say or ask of her. Knowing it would possibly be something she didn't like. "Yeah?"

He slicked his fingers through his hair looking down at the bar, blew out a breath, almost confirming her suspicious and looked back at her through narrow eyes. "I probably already know the answer but humor me." He sat back on the barstool and continued to look at her studiously, "Your fiance already thinks you're somewhere doing God knows what with me. Were you really considering sleeping with me to end your engagement?"

Melanie's eyes fell and her heart jumped. Of course he'd wanted her to live up to her flirtations. He was a guy. She had to tell the truth. She shook her head. "No." She looked back up at him, hoping he didn't get mad at her, or call her a 'cock tease'. She felt bad for leading him on, she knew it was stupid, and the sad pathetic truth was, she loved the Christian Goodwin attention. Not that the sexual attraction wasn't there, that was just too far down the point of no return. If she slept with him, she was that bad girl she was walking the line of. "Would you have let me?"

Her eyes lingered on his thinned lips as he answered"No."

She blew out a long breath she didn't even realize she had held. "Because of Mike?" She asked more calm and casually.

He shrugged. "I don't know Mike. I get the feeling he's a dick."

He was so right. Her lip quirked. "You don't like black girls?"

He laughed exasperated. "Trust me. I have never discriminated, especially on that."

Now it was just curiosity. She was a woman wasn't she? Did he not think she was pretty enough? Was he just taking pictures of her, just out of pity? Maybe it was his way of teasing her back. "Then what is it?" He looked at her and cocked his head giving her a knowing look. Melanie knew instantly, "Come on,"She pushed against his arm, "it's not even bro code. We never dated or slept together."

He gave a short laughed. "Well us Goodwins have a code."

"And what's that?" Her lips pursed.

He swirled his hot chocolate, still not taking a sip. "That we stay away from Davisons. Apparently my dad lost that memo."

Melanie giggled, but still couldn't help but be a little offended. "What's wrong with Davisons"

"You girls are nothing but trouble for Goodwins."