Chapter 16

Valerie watched as Kayla darted out of the gondola for the ferris wheel. "Mommy! Mommy! Did you see me? We went up why high to the sky."

Mr. Abe's dark eyes addressed her as he came out of the gate with his usual lopsided grin. Valerie's heart lurched. Damn, that man's wife was a lucky woman. Her eyes fell again and her cheeks warmed again. She hated how her eyes didn't obey the fact that Mr. Abe was her boss. Even though he was a tall, built, handsome, manly-man.

"Thank you again, Mr. Abe."

"One of these days, Valerie. I'm going to get you to call me 'Abe'."

She giggled bashfully. "I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize." He said, "Call me what ever makes you feel comfortable Valerie."

Her name sounded smooth coming from his lips. Her face hurt, realized that she couldn't stop smiling.

"What?" He said.

She searched her brain for an explanation of why her eyes would not focus on anything other than his. She couldn't find one. She loved how they looked fresh brewed coffee just before she put the creamer in. Her eyes trailed to his lips, he was still grinning at her to. "I can't thank you enough...Abe...Mr. Abe." She giggled.

He dramatically snapped, causing her to giggle.

"Uncle Abie."

Valerie noticed Kayla pulling on Mr. Abe's jacket and as soon as he noticed he lifted her in his arms. It was as if she was his, and she played with his beard as if her was her Uncle Abie and no one elses. Valerie tried not to think about when or if Abe decided he no longer wanted to be her uncle. It was possible and within his right to. When Issac started having kids she knew it was going to happen. What hadn't Allen just called her. Had he really just given up on the family she had with him? Was his new family that much better? Was she that bad of a wife?

She tried to stop thinking about that. She'd tried not to let those thoughts over-take her. He cheated, why was she left feeling guilty? One day Kayla was going to get married and ask where her father was and she'd have to tell her that she'd chased him into another woman's arms, being cold and controlling.

"Valerie!"

Mr. Abe brought her out of her thoughts. "Yes?"

"Are you okay?"

She forced a smile despite her burning eyes. "Yeah."

"I was just saying that maybe someone else can take a shift with the kids."

Her heart sank. "Oh, Mr. Abe I'm sorry. I've been pawning them off on you."

He chuckled. "No," He looked at Kayla his eyes gentle and sweet, "Kayla and I have had a blast, it's just you haven't done anything."

Valerie shrugged. "I don't want to ride anything."

"But you need a break." He said.

Valerie couldn't picture going off by herself...and doing what? She looked down at the double stroller with Adrian and Jamaal both sleeping looking almost like twins in their dark black and blue jackets. 

"Let me find one of the kids. I'm sure they can take over for a few minutes."

Valerie looked around over at the games sparkling in white and red blinking lights enough to give someone a seizure if they weren't careful.

"Look over there." Valerie noticed a crowd gathered, she caught glimpses of her sister Melanie.

"What's going on over there?" Valerie was almost afraid to investigate. Melanie was always one to put on a show. Usually it was at karaoke or with the drama club. Valerie followed Abe, studying the scene carefully and they stepped around the crowd to a bar fence where she had gotten a few of Melanie and Issac. Melanie passed a reindeer stuffed animal to a little boy in a stroller, and the placed a kiss on Issac's cheek. Valerie couldn't help but giggle as Issac shook his head from side to side like he was being cocky. He then threw the ball in his hand in pitcher form pushing in a target button that caused a polar bear to drop into a small tank. The crowd cheered.